Kladruby (Tachov District)

Kladruby (German: Kladrau) (population 1,400/2003) is a town in the Czech Republic, in the region of Plzeň, near the town Stříbro.

See other places named Kladruby (disambiguation).
Kladruby

Kladruby u Stříbra
Town
The Abbey of Kladruby

Flag

Coat of arms
Kladruby
Location in the Czech Republic
Coordinates: 49°42′55″N 12°58′48″E
CountryCzech Republic
RegionPlzeň
DistrictTachov
Founded1115
Government
  MayorSvatava Štěrbová
Area
  Total48.59 km2 (18.76 sq mi)
Elevation
413 m (1,355 ft)
Population
 (2006-07-03)
  Total1,500
  Density31/km2 (80/sq mi)
Time zoneUTC+1 (CET)
  Summer (DST)UTC+2 (CEST)
Postal code
349 61
Websitewww.kladruby.cz

The Abbey of Kladruby is a large Benedictine monastery first cited 1115. Its vast Late Baroque Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary (Giovanni Battista Santini, architect) attests to the secular power and wealth of the abbey, which was dissolved under the regime of Joseph II. The abbot's princely revenue and territories made his naming a matter of considerable concern to the King of Bohemia, whose prerogative it was. In a confrontation with the local hierarchy of the Roman Catholic Church over the rights of investiture—a conflict with parallels to the Investiture Controversy of the 12th century— King Wenceslaus IV of Bohemia dealt with the interference of John of Nepomuk who had confirmed as abbot a candidate expressly not to Wencelaus' wishes, in the time-honoured way: on March 20, 1393, the offending bishop was thrown into the river Vltava from Charles Bridge in Prague at the behest of Wenceslaus. (John was canonized as St John of Nepomuk.)

The nearest (10 km) important secular historic building dating from the same Late Baroque period is the manor house Trpisty.

  • Anton Ebert


This article is issued from Wikipedia. The text is licensed under Creative Commons - Attribution - Sharealike. Additional terms may apply for the media files.