Kiuruvesi is a town and municipality of Finland located in the Northern Savonia region. The municipality has a population of 8,136 and covers an area of 1,422.90 square kilometres (549.38 sq mi) of which 94.79 km2 (36.60 sq mi) is water. The population density is 6.13 inhabitants per square kilometre (15.9/sq mi). Neighbour municipalities are Iisalmi, Pielavesi, Pyhäjärvi, Pyhäntä and Vieremä. The municipality is unilingually Finnish.
Aerial photograph of Kiuruvesi
Coat of arms
Location of Kiuruvesi in Finland
|Coordinates: 63°39′N 026°37′E|
|• Town manager||Erkki Strömmer|
|• Total||1,422.90 km2 (549.38 sq mi)|
|• Land||1,328.11 km2 (512.79 sq mi)|
|• Water||94.79 km2 (36.60 sq mi)|
|Area rank||51st largest in Finland|
|• Rank||118th largest in Finland|
|• Density||6.13/km2 (15.9/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||99.2% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||16.2%|
|• 15 to 64||60.9%|
|• 65 or older||22.9%|
|Time zone||UTC+02:00 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+03:00 (EEST)|
|Municipal tax rate||19.75%|
The educational department takes part in Lifelong Learning Programme 2007–2013 in Finland.
Results of the 2011 Finnish parliamentary election in Kiuruvesi:
- "Area of Finnish Municipalities 1.1.2018" (PDF). National Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "Suomen virallinen tilasto (SVT): Väestön ennakkotilasto [verkkojulkaisu]. Tammikuu 2019" (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.