The KiHa E120 (キハE120形) is a single-car diesel multiple unit (DMU) train type operated by East Japan Railway Company (JR East) in the Niigata, Fukushima, and Yamagata region of Japan since November 2008.
KiHa E120-7 at Imaizumi Station on the Yonesaka Line, July 2009
|Number built||8 vehicles|
|Number in service||8 vehicles|
|Capacity||114 (39 seated)|
|Car body construction||Stainless steel|
|Car length||19,500 mm (64 ft 0 in)|
|Width||2,920 mm (9 ft 7 in)|
|Doors||Two pairs per side|
|Maximum speed||100 km/h (60 mph)|
|Weight||38.5 t (37.9 long tons; 42.4 short tons)|
|Prime mover(s)||DMF15HZ x1|
|Power output||331 kW (444 hp)|
|Multiple working||KiHa 110 series|
|Track gauge||1,067 mm (3 ft 6 in)|
Eight cars (numbered KiHa 120-1 to 8) are based at Niitsu Depot and are used interchangeably with KiHa 110 series DMUs on the following routes.
Passenger accommodation consists of 1+2 abreast facing seating bays in the centre of each car, and longitudinal bench seating at the ends of cars. Each car has a universal access toilet.
The cars are equipped with fare machines for use on wanman driver-only-operated services.
Eight cars were built by Niigata Transys in May 2008, entering revenue service from 1 November 2008.
- "キハE120形一般形気動車" [KiHa 120 DMU]. Japan Railfan Magazine. Vol. 48 no. 569. Japan: Kōyūsha Co., Ltd. September 2008. pp. 51–56.
- JR全車輌ハンドブック2009 [JR Rolling Stock Handbook 2009]. Japan: Neko Publishing. 2009. p. 478. ISBN 978-4-7770-0836-0.
- Nishiwaki, Kōji (January 2012). "JR各社の新世代気動車の現状 JR東日本キハE120・E130・E131・E132形" [The Current Situation of JR Group Modern DMUs: JR East KiHa E120/E130/E131/E132]. Japan Railfan Magazine. Vol. 52 no. 609. Japan: Kōyūsha Co., Ltd. pp. 98–101.
- "JR東日本新潟支社で新型気動車キハE120形を投入" [JR East Niigata Branch to introduce new KiHa E120 DMU]. Hobidas (in Japanese). Neko Publishing. 17 April 2008. Retrieved 27 June 2008.
- 【鉄道ファン必見】ブナ色の気動車「キハＥ１２０形」 飯豊連峰望み進行！. Sankei News (in Japanese). 22 June 2008. Archived from the original on 8 August 2008. Retrieved 22 November 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to KiHa E120.|
- JR East E120/E130 information (in Japanese)