KiHa 59 series
The KiHa 59 series (キハ59系) is a former Japanese diesel multiple unit operated by East Japan Railway Company (JR East) between 1989 and 2010, and by the Philippine National Railways (PNR) on the Metro South Commuter and Isarog Express lines since 2012.
|KiHa 59 series|
The KiHa 59 series Kogane trainset in 2008
|Constructed||1967 (as KiHa 28 intermediate car) |
1968 (as KiHa 58 head cars)
|Entered service||1989–2010 (JR East) |
|Refurbishment||1989; 2003; 2019|
|Number built||3 vehicles|
|Number in service||3 vehicles (currently used as an inspection vehicle)|
|Line(s) served||PNR Metro South Commuter|
PNR Mayon Limited (Isarog Limited Express)
|Doors||1 sliding door per side per car|
|Prime mover(s)||Komatsu DMF11HZ (250 hp)|
|Track gauge||1,067 mm (3 ft 6 in)|
The three-car train was converted in November 1989 at JR East's Koriyama Works from former KiHa 58 series diesel cars to become the KiHa 59 series Gracia Joyful Train set for use on special charter services in the Sendai area and north east of Japan. The train was withdrawn in May 2003 and rebuilt to become the Kogane trainset, repainted in a white, gold, and orange livery and re-entering service from July 2003.
In its career under the Philippine National Railways, it served regular and shuttle lines, but its windshields had to be armored with steel meshes to prevent the glass from shattering due to train stoners. The unit underwent general renovation and overhaul in 2019.
|Number||KiRo 59-510||KiRo 29-506||KiRo 59-511|
|Original number||KiHa 58-1038||KiHa 28-1505||KiHa 58-1039|
|Number||KiHa 59-510||KiHa 29-506||KiHa 59-511|
|Number||Kiha 59510||Kiha 29506||Kiha 59511|
- Jēāru zensharyō handobukku: Rail Magazine 2009 JR全車輌ハンドブック2009 [JR Rolling Stock Handbook 2009] (in Japanese). Japan: Neko Publishing. 2009. p. 412. ISBN 978-4-7770-0836-0.
- Ogano, Minoru (2009). ジョイフルトレイン図鑑: 国鉄からJrへ。時代を駆け抜けた花形列車の記録 ジョイフルトレイン図鑑 [Joyful Train Directory] (in Japanese). Tokyo, Japan: JTB Can Books. p. 78, 147. ISBN 978-4-533-07720-3.
- 「ありがとうこがねふかひれキャンペーン」について [Details of "Thank you Kogane Campaign"] (PDF). News release (in Japanese). Japan: East Japan Railway Company - Sendai Division. 17 June 2010. Archived from the original (PDF) on 24 November 2010. Retrieved 27 June 2016.
- "フィリピン国鉄 KIHA59「KOGANE」が営業運転に復帰" [Philippine National Railways KIHA59 "KOGANE" returns to commercial operation]. Japan Railfan Magazine Online (in Japanese). Japan: Koyusha Co., Ltd. 10 December 2019. Archived from the original on 10 December 2019. Retrieved 10 December 2019.
- Cinco, Maricar. "PNR extends train trips to Los Baños". newsinfo.inquirer.net. Retrieved 20 September 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kogane (train).|