KiHa 122 series
The KiHa 122 series (キハ122系 Kiha-122-kei) and KiHa 127 series (キハ127系 Kiha-127-kei) are diesel multiple unit (DMU) train types operated by West Japan Railway Company (JR-West) on the Kishin Line between Himeji and Kōzuki. A total of 19 cars have been delivered, formed as seven single-car KiHa 122 series units and six two-car KiHa 127 series units. Test-running commenced in late September 2008, with the units entering revenue-earning service from the start of the revised timetable on 14 March 2009.
|KiHa 122/127 series|
KiHa 127 series 2-car DMU at Himeji Station in March 2009
|Number built||19 vehicles|
|Number in service||19 vehicles|
|Formation||KiHa 122: Single car unit|
KiHa 127: 2-cars per trainset
|Capacity||KiHa 122: 113 (33 seated)|
KiHa 127: 268 (92 seated)
|Line(s) served||Kishin Line|
|Car body construction||Stainless steel|
|Car length||20,440 mm (KiHa 122)|
20,270 mm (KiHa 127)
|Doors||Two pairs per side|
|Maximum speed||100 km/h (60 mph)|
|Power output||450 hp (at 2,100 rpm)|
|Train heating||WAU707 x2|
|Bogies||WDT65 (driving), WT248 (trailing)|
|Braking system(s)||Engine brake, electronically controlled pneumatic brakes|
|Track gauge||1,067 mm (3 ft 6 in)|
The body design features improved crash resistance, based on the recent 223 series electric multiple unit design. The cars use environmentally-friendly diesel engines with reduced NOx and particulate emissions.
Internally, the cars feature flip-over reversible seating arranged 2+1 abreast. Toilets in both types of train are wheelchair-accessible, and the step between the passenger compartment and station platform has been eliminated.
KiHa 122 series (single-car unit)
(Equipped with toilet)
KiHa 127 series (2-car units)
|Numbering||KiHa 127-0||KiHa 127-1000|
(KiHa 127-0 is equipped with a toilet.)
- キハ127+キハ122，網干へ回送 [KiHa 127 & 122 moved to Aboshi]. Japan Railfan Magazine Online (in Japanese). Japan: Koyusha Co., Ltd. 2 October 2008. Retrieved 14 March 2012.
- JR西日本 キハ１２２形・キハ１２７形を姫新線に導入 [JR-West to introduce KiHa122/127 on Kishin Line]. Tetsudō Daiya Jōhō magazine. Vol. 37 no. 294. Japan: Kōtsū Shimbun. September 2008. p. 70.
- キハ１２２・１２７系 気動車 [KiHa 122/127 series DMU]. Japan Railfan Magazine. Vol. 49 no. 573. Japan: Kōyūsha Co., Ltd. January 2009. pp. 68–72.
- キハ127+キハ122が試運転 [KiHa 125 + KiHa 122 Test run]. Japan Railfan Magazine Online (in Japanese). Japan: Koyusha Co., Ltd. 22 September 2008. Retrieved 14 March 2012.
- Yomiuri Shimbun: 新型高速ディーゼル登場姫新線 (15 March 2009). Retrieved on 18 March 2009 (in Japanese)
- キハ122、127系気動車の新製投入について [Introduction of new KiHa 122/127 series diesel cars]. Press Release (in Japanese). Japan: West Japan Railway Company. 26 August 2008. Archived from the original on 15 January 2009. Retrieved 14 March 2012.
- Nishiwaki, Kōji (January 2011). JR各社の新世代気動車の現況 JR西日本キハ122・127形 [The Current State of Modern JR DMUs - JR-West KiHa 122/127]. Japan Railfan Magazine. Vol. 51 no. 597. Japan: Kōyūsha Co., Ltd. pp. 108–110.
- Yamamoto, T. (2017). "Trends and Recent Studies on Hybrid Railway Vehicles". Quarterly Report of RTRI. 58 (1): 1–5. doi:10.2219/rtriqr.58.1_1.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to KiHa 122/127.|
- "Archived copy" (in Japanese). Archived from the original on 15 January 2009. Retrieved 27 August 2008.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- JR-West KiHa 122/127 series (Japan Railfan Magazine) (in Japanese)