Kevin W. Sharer
Kevin W. Sharer (b. Mar. 2, 1948, in Iowa, raised in California and now resident of Colorado) is an American businessman who was Chairman/CEO of the biotechnology company Amgen from 2000 to 2012. He also served on several large company boards of directors and after Amgen joined the faculty of Harvard Business School.
Sharer studied aeronautical engineering at the U.S. Naval Academy and graduated in 1970 with a BSAE. In 1971 he received an MS in aeronautical engineering from the US Naval Postgraduate School. He later received his MBA from the University of Pittsburgh's Joseph M. Katz Graduate School of Business in 1983.
Sharer served in the navy from 1970 through 1978. He served on two fast-attack nuclear submarines. At the age of 27, he became the new construction engineer officer on the USS Memphis (SSN-691) and served as part of the commissioning crew. He left the navy with the rank of lieutenant commander.
From 1984 to 1989 Sharer worked at General Electric (GE) beginning on the Chairmen’s staff in business development and strategy and later as general manager of two small divisions. He left as a corporate Vice President to join MCI Communications. He was at MCI from 1989 to 1992 with responsibility for sales and marketing and as GM of the business markets division.
Sharer joined the biotech firm Amgen in 1992 as president / chief operating officer and board member. From 2000 to 2012 he was Chairman/CEO of Amgen. Amgen grew from approximately $1B in sales to approximately $15B in sales during Sharer’s twenty years. All but $800M of the $14B sales growth was organic.
Sharer joined the faculty of Harvard Business School in 2012 and has taught a variety of courses in strategy and general management to MBA and executive education students. Sharer has been on the faculty for six years.
Sharer also provides executive coaching to CEO’s of a variety of large complex organizations across a range of industries and is a strategic adviser in healthcare to the financial firm Blackstone.
- Chairman of the Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America from 2005 to 2007.
- Chairman of the board of trustees of the Los Angeles County Museum of Natural History from 2000 to 2010.
- Board of directors U.S. Naval Academy Foundation since 1998.
- Retired Board member of Amgen, Unocal, Chevron, 3M, and Northrop Grumman.
- On board of Allied Minds, a public company with a portfolio of high tech companies.
Married to Carol Sharer, two children, three step daughters and many grandchildren.
Lives in Vail, Colorado and San Francisco, California.
- "Kevin W Sharer". Bloomberg. Retrieved 20 August 2016.
- "Kevin W. Sharer 1948— Biography - Developing leadership ambition, Sharer arrives at amgen". www.referenceforbusiness.com. Retrieved 20 August 2016.