Kerava town centre
Coat of arms
Location of Kerava in Finland
|Coordinates: 60°24′N 025°06′E|
|• Town manager||Kirsi Rontu|
|• Total||30.79 km2 (11.89 sq mi)|
|• Land||30.62 km2 (11.82 sq mi)|
|• Water||0.17 km2 (0.07 sq mi)|
|Area rank||309th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||32nd largest in Finland|
|• Density||1,185.24/km2 (3,069.8/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||94.8% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||17.7%|
|• 15 to 64||70.3%|
|• 65 or older||12%|
|Time zone||UTC+02:00 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+03:00 (EEST)|
|Municipal tax rate||18.75%|
It is located in the province of Southern Finland and is part of the Uusimaa region. The town has a population of 36,292 (31 January 2019) and covers an area of 30.79 square kilometres (11.89 sq mi) of which 0.17 km2 (0.066 sq mi) is water. The population density is 1,185.24 inhabitants per square kilometre (3,069.8/sq mi). The municipality is unilingually Finnish.
Kerava railway station is an interchange (transfer) station, with connections from the main track from Helsinki to Riihimäki to the tracks to Lahti and Sköldvik/Porvoo. Helsinki Airport is located about 12 km to the southwest of the city.
Results of the 2011 Finnish parliamentary election in Kerava:
Notable people from Kerava
- William Freyermuth, drummer of Finnish punk bands Masquerade, Virgin in Veil and Secular Plague.
- Stone (band) Finnish heavy metal band
- Hanna-Maria Seppälä (b. 1984), Finnish freestyle swimmer
- Eero Hämeenniemi (b. 1951), Finnish composer
- Marco Hietala was born in Tervo, Finland, but currently lives in Kerava.
- Teppo Felin, Professor at the University of Oxford
- Emppu Vuorinen was born in Kitee, Finland, but currently resides in Kerava.
- Pekka Ansio Heino, singer of Leverage and Brother Firetribe
- Tero Kinnunen currently resides in Kerava.
- Joona Puhakka
- President Juho Kusti Paasikivi
- Olympic medal winner Volmari Iso-Hollo
- Sasha Mäkilä, Finnish orchestra conductor
- Renny Harlin, film director.
- "Area of Finnish Municipalities 1.1.2018" (PDF). National Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "Suomen virallinen tilasto (SVT): Väestön ennakkotilasto [verkkojulkaisu]. Tammikuu 2019" (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.