Keeper of the Register
The Keeper of the Register (more formally known as the Keeper of the National Register of Historic Places) is a National Park Service (NPS) official, responsible for deciding on the eligibility of historic properties for inclusion on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places (NRHP). The Keeper's authority may be delegated as they see fit. The State historic preservation officer for each state submits nominations to the Keeper. Upon receipt, the Keeper has 45 days to decide whether to add the property to the NRHP.
List of Keepers
- William J. Murtagh – 1967-1979
- Jerry L. Rogers – approximately 1981-1994
- Carol D. Shull – Acting Keeper 1979-1980, Keeper 1994-2005, Interim Keeper 2009 to January 3, 2015
- Jan Snyder Matthews – 2005–2009
- Stephanie Toothman – Keeper January 4, 2015 – June 2, 2017
- J. Paul Loether - Keeper June 3, 2017 – June 25, 2018
- Joy Beasley (NPS Acting Associate Director, Cultural Resources Partnerships and Science) - Keeper July 2018 – current
- Historic Preservation in Juneau - Community Development Department, City and Borough of Juneau
- Code of Federal Regulations: 36 CFR Part 60 National Register of Historic Places
- 36 CFR 63 - Eligibility for Inclusion in the National Register
- SHPO Fact Sheet #1: National Register of Historic Places - January 1996, Oklahoma's State Historic Preservation Office
- "William J. Murtagh papers > ArchivesUM". Digital.lib.umd.edu. 1923-05-02. Retrieved 2017-11-16.
- personal correspondence from Keeper Shull