|Born||14 September 1970|
Bareilly, Uttar Pradesh
|Genres||Sufi, playback singing|
|Occupation(s)||Playback singer, singer of ghazals, Sufi music|
She won the Filmfare Award for Best Female Playback Singer in 2010 for her classical Sufi rendition "Gunja Sa Koi Iktara" for the film Wake Up Sid (2009). She also won the Star Screen Award for Best Female Playback for the same song, which was one of the biggest chartbusters in 2009.
She was born in Bareilly, Uttar Pradesh.
After her marriage she moved to Delhi, where she started performing for All India Radio (AIR) and Doordarshan. Meanwhile, she also did her post graduation in Music, Sangeet Alankar from Gandharva Mahavidyalaya, Delhi and received MA degree in Hindi literature from the University of Delhi.
Kavita specialises in Sufi-style singing although she also sings geet, ghazal and folk songs. Over the years she has performed at live shows at London, Birmingham, Scotland, Berlin, Oslo and Stockholm and places across India. It was at one of her performance at Muzaffar Ali's International Sufi Festival concert, in Delhi that director Satish Kaushik heard her and offered a song "Zindagi ko Maula", in his film, the Amisha Patel starrer, Vaada (2005), marking her debut as a playback singer. Subsequently, she moved to Mumbai, as this was followed by, "Mujhe Mat Roko" in Anurag Basu's Gangster (2006), for which she received praise.
Besides singing she also composes music. She has composed three songs in N. Chandra's film "Yeh Mera India" (2009). She has also released private albums, including, Woh Ek Lamha, Dil-e-Nadan both Sufi ghazal albums, followed by Sufi music albums, Sufiana (2008) and Hazrat. Her 2008 album Sufiana, composed of couplets of Sufi poet-mystic, Rumi was released at the 800-year-old Khaman Pir Ka Dargah in Lucknow.
Awards and nominations
|Year||Nominee / work||Award||Result|
|2010||Wake Up Sid||Filmfare Awards
Best Female Playback Singer – "Iktara"
|Star Screen Award
Best Female Playback Singer – "Iktara" Best New Talent in Music
|International Indian Film Academy Awards
Best Female Playback Singer – "Iktara"
New Musical Sensation (Female) – "Iktara"
|Global Indian Music Award
Best Playback Singer (Female) – "Iktara" Popular Singer of the Year Song of the Year – "Iktara"
|GR8 FLO Women Award
Women Achiever Award
|2012||Cocktail||Big Entertainment Awards 2012
"Tumhi Ho Bandhu"
|5th Mirchi Music Awards
Female Vocalist of The Year – "Tum Hi Ho Bandhu"
|Gangster||2006||Mujhe Mat Roko|
|Wake Up Sid||2009||Iktara|
|Yeh Mera India||'Aap roothe rahe'|
|Raajneeti||Mora Piya (Trance Mix)|
|Cocktail||2012||Tumhi ho bandhu|
|Bombay Talkies||Murabba (Duet)|
|Neerja||2016||Jeete Hain Chal|
|Santheyalli Nintha Kabira||Navu premada huccharu|
|Waiting (2015 film)||Zara Zara|
|Begum Jaan||2017||Prem Mai Tohre|
- Trance With Khusrow (2014)
- Ek Din]] (2012)
- Khuda Wohi Hai (2011)
- Bullehshah (2010)
- Kabirana Sufiana (2010)
- Sufiana (2007)
- Udasi, Harshikaa (1 April 2010). "Sufi and soul". Chennai, India: The Hindu. Retrieved 19 April 2010.
- Kavita Seth performs at Sufi concert Screen, 30 January 2009.
- "Amitabh Bachchan, Vidya Balan claim top honours". Chennai, India: The Hindu. 28 February 2010.
- "Music and Lyrics". Indian Express. 26 March 2010. Retrieved 19 April 2010.
- "Song Sung True". Indian Express. 24 September 2009. Archived from the original on 5 October 2012.
- "VISHESH Break". Screen. 24 March 2006.
- When new female singers announced their arrival in 2006: 8. Kavita Seth Bollywood Hungama, 3 January 2007.
- ‘Hard work always pays!’ Screen, 4 September 2009. Archived 9 October 2009 at the Wayback Machine
- "Recreating Rumi's poetry". DNA. 3 November 2009.
- Mission Sufi Screen, 4 January 2008.
- "Nominations - Mirchi Music Award Hindi 2012". www.radiomirchi.com. Retrieved 27 April 2018.
- Kavita Seth Filmography Archived 15 June 2009 at the Wayback Machine Bollywood Hungama
- Music Review of Admissions Open
- "Juhi at a musical do!". The Times of India. 25 March 2010.
- https://archive.is/20120710175645/http://movies.ndtv.com/movie_story.aspx?ID=ENTEN20110190329&keyword=music&subcatg=MUSICINDIA&nid=158688. Archived from the original on 10 July 2012. Missing or empty