Coat of arms
|Coordinates: 47°52′48″N 10°37′21″E|
|• Lord Mayor||Stefan Bosse (CSU)|
|• Total||40.02 km2 (15.45 sq mi)|
|Elevation||681-860 m (−2,141 ft)|
|• Density||1,100/km2 (2,800/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
- Kaufbeuren (Altstadt - Old Town)
- Town hall (built 1879–1881)
- Crescentiakloster (founded 1150)
- Historic Old Town with partially conserved, historic city wall
- Fünfknopfturm (Five-Button-Tower)
- Stadttheater Kaufbeuren
- kunsthaus kaufbeuren
- Isergebirgs-Museum (Neugablonz)
- Maria Crescentia Höss (1682-1744), nun, beatified 1900, sainted 2001
- Sophie von La Roche (1730-1807, writer
- Ludwig Ganghofer (1855-1920), writer
- Rudolf Roessler (1897-1958), publisher and spy
- Wilhelm Walcher (1910-2005), physicist
- Hans Liebherr (1915-1993) master mason, inventor of the mobile tower crane and founder of the international Liebherr Group.
- Hans Magnus Enzensberger (born 1929), poet, writer and publisher
- Walter Riester (born 1943), politician (SPD), Secretary of State for Employment 1998-2002
- Dieter Hegen, (born 1962), former ice hockey player
- Erich Weishaupt (born 1952), ice hockey player
- Alexander Sulzer, (born 1984), ice hockey player
Kaufbeuren Air Base
The Kaufbeuren Air Base was established as a Luftwaffe station in 1935. When seized by the United States Army in May 1945 at the end of World War II it was discovered to be the final location of Nazi Party's top secret FA signals intelligence and cryptanalytic agency. After serving as a U.S. airbase during the post-war period, the field was ultimately returned to the town, and today serves as a German Air Force training field.
The Tänzelfest is a festival, which takes place usually at the end of June. Children reenact the history of the town in traditional costume. There are a lot of events at this time.
- "Fortschreibung des Bevölkerungsstandes". Bayerisches Landesamt für Statistik und Datenverarbeitung (in German). July 2019.
- Amtsinhaber Stefan Bosse als Kaufbeurer OB mit absoluter Mehrheit wiedergewählt, accessed May 14, 2014
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kaufbeuren.|