Anna Katriina Outinen
17 August 1961
|Awards||Best Actress (2002 Cannes Film Festival)|
Outinen was born in Helsinki. Having studied under Jouko Turkka during her "reign" of drama studies in Finland, she nevertheless has never been associated with the "turkkalaisuus" school of acting methodology. Her breakthrough role was as a tough girl in the generational classic youth film Täältä tullaan elämä (1980) by Tapio Suominen. In 1984, she appeared in Aikalainen.
Besides a strong domestic reputation gained through a widely varied list of roles in theater and television drama, film director Aki Kaurismäki's films have brought Outinen international attention and even adulation, particularly in Germany and France. Her first work together with Kaurismäki was Shadows in Paradise in 1986. At the 2002 Cannes Film Festival, Outinen won the award for Best Actress for the Kaurismäki film The Man Without a Past. Last Outinen and Kaurismäki have worked together in the film The Other Side of Hope (2017).
She has also participated to the screenplay of the Finnish soap opera Salatut elämät. Outinen portrayed the central character of a Swedish bank manager in the Estonian series The Bank (2018). She has appeared as a voice actor in the animation series Babar. She has also given her voice to Ritva Tuomivaara on the video game Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (2017).
Outinen worked as a Professor in Acting at the Theatre Academy Helsinki years 2002–2013.
- Shadows in Paradise (1986)
- Hamlet Goes Business (1987)
- The Match Factory Girl (1990)
- Take Care of Your Scarf, Tatiana (1994)
- Drifting Clouds (1996)
- Freakin' Beautiful World (1997)
- Trains'n'Roses (1998)
- Juha (1999)
- The Man Without a Past (2002)
- Lights in the Dusk (2006)
- Sauna (2008)
- The House of Branching Love (2009)
- Le Havre (2011)
- August Fools (2013)
- Dark Crimes (2016)
- The Other Side of Hope (2017)
- "Kati Outinen". Elonet. Retrieved 2011-11-18.
- "Interview with Tom Dawson. BBC Archive. October 2003".
- "Festival de Cannes: The Man Without a Past". festival-cannes.com. Retrieved 2009-10-25.