Wilcox in 1991
|Born||November 19, 1969|
|Labels||Kill Rock Stars|
Wilcox attended The Evergreen State College where she studied film and worked with Tobi Vail at a sandwich shop. During this time she and friends Kathleen Hanna and Vail collaborated on a feminist zine titled Bikini Kill. The three women then enlisted guitarist Billy Karren and began a feminist punk band also called Bikini Kill. Wilcox provided vocals, bass, and drums for the band, which lasted throughout the '90s and is considered one of the definitive bands of the riot grrrl movement. Wilcox later performed with the bands the Feebles, the Frumpies, Star Sign Scorpio and collaborated with Christina Billotte and Steve Dore in the Casual Dots. She is working with her Bikini Kill bandmate Kathleen Hanna in the band the Julie Ruin.
Wilcox married musician Guy Picciotto from Fugazi, and as of October 2016 the two were living in Brooklyn with their daughter.
- Marcus, Sara (2010). Girls to the Front: The True Story of the Riot Grrrl Revolution. New York: HarperPerennial. p. 45. ISBN 978-0-06-180636-0.
- Chick, Steve (2007). Psychic Confusion: The Sonic Youth Story. p. 365. ISBN 978-0-85712-054-0.
- "Pancake Mountain In The News". Pancakemountain.com. 2003-12-19. Retrieved 2012-02-21.
- Savage, Emily (January 22, 2013). "Rebel girls". San Francisco Bay Guardian.
- Bobbitt, Melissa (January 22, 2013). "Interview - Kathi Wilcox of Bikini Kill". About Entertainment. About.com. Retrieved September 19, 2014.