The Karasuyama Line (烏山線 Karasuyama-sen) is a railway line in Tochigi Prefecture, Japan, owned and operated by East Japan Railway Company (JR East). It connects Hōshakuji in the town of Takanezawa with Karasuyama in Nasukarasuyama.
An EV-E301 series BEMU on the Karasuyama Line in March 2015
|Opened||15 April 1923|
|Rolling stock||EV-E301 series BEMU|
|Line length||20.4 km (12.7 mi)|
|Number of tracks||1|
|Track gauge||1,067 mm (3 ft 6 in)|
|Hōshakuji||宝積寺||-||0.0||Utsunomiya Line (Some through trains to Utsunomiya Station)||Takanezawa, Shioya District|
- EV-E301 series BEMU (since 15 March 2014)
From the start of the revised timetable on 15 March 2014, a new EV-E301 series two-car battery electric multiple unit (BEMU) was introduced on the Karasuyama Line and Tohoku Main Line between Utsunomiya and Karasuyama. Developed from the experimental "Smart Denchi-kun" battery electric railcar also tested on this line since 2012, the EV-E301 series train is recharged at a special recharging facility built at Karasuyama Station, and operates on battery power over the non-electrified Karasuyama Line tracks.
All of the remaining KiHa 40 series diesel trains used on the line were withdrawn on 3 March 2017, and replaced with EV-E301 series battery electric units from the start of the revised timetable on 4 March 2017.
Former rolling stock
- KiHa 40 series DMUs (until 3 March 2017)
The line opened on 15 April 1923. With the privatization of Japanese National Railways (JNR) on 1 April 1987, the line came under the control of JR East.
Wanman driver only operation commenced on the line on 10 March 1990, using KiHa 40 series DMUs.
- 烏山線でEV-E301系が営業運転を開始 [EV-E301 series enters revenue service on Karasuyama Line]. Japan Railfan Magazine Online (in Japanese). Japan: Koyusha Co., Ltd. 16 March 2014. Retrieved 17 March 2014.
- JR東日本 烏山線に新型蓄電池電車導入 [JR East to introduce new battery train on Karasuyama Line]. Tetsudo Hobidas (in Japanese). Japan: Neko Publishing Co., Ltd. 6 November 2012. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- ＪＲ烏山線のディーゼル車「キハ４０形」 「たらこ色」の車両ラストラン [Last run on JR Karasuyama Line for red KiHa 40 diesel cars]. Sankei News (in Japanese). Japan: The Sankei Shimbun & Sankeu Digital. 4 March 2017. Archived from the original on 4 March 2017. Retrieved 4 March 2017.
- Ishino, Tetsu, ed. (1998). 停車場変遷大辞典 国鉄・JR編 [Station Transition Directory - JNR/JR] (in Japanese). I. Japan: JTB. p. 106. ISBN 4-533-02980-9.
- JR気動車客車編成表 '04年版 [JR DMU & Coaching Stock Formations - 2004]. Japan: JRR. 1 July 2004. p. 197. ISBN 4-88283-125-2.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Karasuyama Line.|
- JR East Karasuyama Line information (in Japanese)