Kalutara (Sinhala: කළුතර, Tamil: களுத்துறை) or Kalutota is a major city in Kalutara District, Western Province, Sri Lanka. It is also the administrative capital of Kalutara District. It is located approximately 40 km (25 mi) south of the capital Colombo. The area is well known to produce the Mangosteens, a fruit introduced from Malaysia in 19th century.
|Coordinates: 6°35′13″N 79°57′37″E|
|• Type||Urban Council|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (Sri Lanka Standard Time)|
Once an important spice-trading center, the town's name is derived from the Kalu Ganga River ('Black River' in native Sinhala). In the 11th Century, the town was temporarily made a capital on the orders of a South Indian Prince. The region was later planted with coconut trees, whose by-products are used for both internal and external trade. The location also boast fortifications (Kalutara fort) dating back from the times when Portuguese, Dutch and British vied for control of the area.
The 38 m (125 ft) long Kalutara Bridge was built at the mouth of the Kalu Ganga River and serves as a major link between the country's western and southern border.
Kalutara is governed by an Urban Council with a chairman. The council has 20 (since 2018) members, elected by the local government election. The local board of Kalutara was established in 1878. Then in 1923, the local board was succeeded by the Urban District Council.
- Kalutara or Gangatilaka Vihara was built in the 1960s to the south of the Kalutara Bridge, is Kalutara’s most dominant landmark. The white 3 storeys-high dagoba at Kalutara Vihara is believed to be the only Buddha Stupa in the world which is entirely hollow. It contains a smaller dagoba inside. The interior of the Stupa is decorated with paintings of the Jataka tales about the life of the Buddha.
- Kalutara Bodhiya is one of the most sacred Buddha Buddhist sites in Sri Lanka. It is one of the 32 saplings of Anuradhapura Sri Maha Bodiya. Kalutara Bodiya is located on Colombo-Galle road.
- Richmond Castle, Kalutara is a two storey mansion, built in 1896, at Palatota. Richmond Castle is a 42-acre fruit garden estate, originally built for a wealthy regional governor. The architecture is a mix of British and Indian styles, copied from the plans of an Indian Maharaja’s palace designed by a London architect. The building has intricate carvings.
- Calido beach is a thin strip of preserved land which runs between the Kalu River and the Indian Ocean.
- Asokaramaya Buddhist Temple is a Buddhist temple built in 1873, in Kalutara north.
Kalutara has three national schools, eleven provincial schools, two semi-government schools and three international schools. It also has a branch of Open University of Sri Lanka and the JMC International College. A number of the schools and colleges are listed below:
- Holy Cross College, Kalutara
- Holy Family Convent, Kalutara
- Kalutara Balika Vidyalaya, a Buddhist girls' school
- Kalutara Vidyalaya National School
- Gnanodaya Maha Vidyalaya National School
- Muslim Central College, Kalutara
- Tissa Central College, Kalutara
Kalutara Public library is located near the High Court and one of the largest libraries of Sri Lanka.
Kalutara has two railway stations, Kalutara North and Kalutara South. Kalutara South is closest to the heart of the Kalutara town. Kalutara south railway station is a major railway hub on the Coastal or Southern Rail Line (connecting Colombo through to Matara).
- Kalutara (disambiguation)
- Kalutara Urban Council
- Kalutara District
- Kalutara prison riots
- Kalutara Park SC, a Sri Lankan football club
- Kalutara Physical Culture Centre, a former first class cricket team
- Kalutara Town Club, a first-class cricket team
- Kalutara Stadium
- Surrey Village Cricket Ground, at Maggona, about 10 kilometres south of Kalutara
- Gunawardana, C. A. (2003). Encyclopedia of Sri Lanka. New Delhi: Sterlin Publishers Privet Limited. p. 165. ISBN 81-207-2536-0.
- "Discovering the Kalutara Bodhiya – A Sacred Tree Rooted in History"
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Kalutara.|