Kajang High School
The Kajang High School (Malay: Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan Tinggi Kajang), better known by its abbreviation of KHS in English and SMKTK in Bahasa Malaysia, is a national secondary school (Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan) located in the town of Kajang, municipality of Kajang Municipal Council (Majlis Perbandaran Kajang, Malaysia). It is the oldest school in Kajang and the district of Hulu Langat when the first block was erected at Mile 14 Cheras Road (Jalan Cheras), (located at latitude 2°59'37.49"N and longitude 101°47'45.65"E) opposite Jamek Mosque of Kajang.
|Kajang High School|
SMK Tinggi Kajang
|Type||National secondary school|
|Motto||Labor Omnia Vincit |
Berilmu, Berdisiplin and Berjaya
|Established||17 March 1919|
|Grades||Form 1 - Form 6|
The former site is a vacant lot that held satay stalls in 1903 CE and later shifted to its permanent site at beside of Semenyih Road, a hilly area where the first block (Blok Utama) was constructed. The word high in Kajang High School gets its meaning, from the namesake of being located on top a hill.
Kajang High School or High SMK short name Kajang, is a Secondary School located in Jalan Semenyih . In 2009, Kajang High School has 1306 male and 113 female students, making a total enrolment of 1419 people. It has a total of 138 people. 2009 School session commenced on 17 March 1919 . Kajang High School ( SMK Kajang High ) was originally known as the Government English School Kajang . The original building is the old Government Rest House near the Kajang Police Station . Number of students at the beginning of the 70 men and women . The establishment of this school was championed by Taukeh Ng Bow Thai, the late Raja Alang, Mr. Arumpalan, Mr. V.Sabapathy and Mr. Gan Boon Teik . They sent an application to the government to establish an English school in Kajang district . This struggle has been going on since 1916. At the beginning of this school accept students for class preparation and Lower Middle Class . Teaching staff consists of a principal and three teachers . This number increased with the number of students to be admitted.
The subjects taught are English, English literature, geography, history, mathematics ( math ), algebra, geometry, drawing, writing and hygiene . At the end of the year students will sit for Junior and Senior Cambridge examinations held every year at the Town Hall, Kuala Lumpur . The school moved to its base now covering 11.3 hectares eleven years later . Its name was changed into Kajang High School . The present main building was inaugurated by Sultan Suleiman Shah KCMG Alaiddin Sultan of Selangor, on 1 April 1930. During this time a total of 402 students . In 1932, enrolment increased by 403 people and has turned into an examination center for the first time since its inception . By 1933, that number dropped to 318 people only because of the global economic slump . Before the war, the number of classes does not exceed 13 classroom teachers and exchange Gugu rare. Teachers only work one or two hours a day in school .
In the Japanese advance in Malaya, the school building was taken over by the Australian army as a place to stay. Operations of the school turned to Sekolah Convent Kajang and running in the afternoon.
Beginning on 6 December 1941 to 12 September 1945 school building became the headquarters of the Japanese army and Territory called " Toa Seinen Gakko " . Once again the school was moved to the National Cinema (now the center of Karaoke ) . Then it became the first Teacher Training College in the country. All books from Raffles College moved here . After the war ended, the books were sent back to Raffles College ( Singapore ) in 1946 . The school is very fortunate to have not suffered damage during World War 2 . After the war, the number of students increased rapidly . Many students who attended school in 1941 has been back to school in 1945.
Science was first introduced in 1946 . At this time the science lab has been set up. Almost a year old only theoretical studies presented . Then the two classes were created Science Laboratory.
On 7 April 1955, a primary school ( School 1 and 2 as school supplies) was opened by HRH Sir Hishamud'din Alam Shah KMCG. The Sultan of Selangor. Number of students this year has risen to 1143 compared with an average of 300 people in the days before World War Two .
In 1958, the High SMK Kajang divided into two separate parts, namely Primary and Secondary Schools as well as under the Teachers and Administration Manager is a separate body .
In the same year, a workshop for vocational subjects ( carpentry, metal work, study and analyse the electrical power ) is completed. The first batch of students to pursue studies were initiated when the Comprehensive Education system is introduced. Additional rooms built in the early months of next December 1964 for teaching Industrial Arts .
The school has changed customise the school board to serve as a library named library Low Ti Kok after the name of one of the founders of the High SMK Kajang . YB Encik Abdul Rahman bin Haji Talib ( Minister of Education Federation of Malaya ) was officiating on 30 July 1960 .
A science block was officially opened on 23 July 1970 . Pure science class for grades 4 first for the district opened here . To accommodate students who live far away, a small dormitory was built out of wood which houses about 90 students. Construction of the new hostel building began in 1972 and completed in 1973 and was officially opened on 1 July 1975 by Mr. Chan Sang Chang on behalf of then Prime Minister of Malaysia, Tun Dr. Mahathir Mohamad. This hostel later known as Tun Dr. Abdul Aziz Hostel . However, the hostel caught fire in April 1998 and has since undergone renovation and repairs and as of 2015 is still operating to cater to students from Selangor and other states.
By 1982, the school consists of 11 blocks of 31 classrooms, four science laboratories, 4 rooms carpentry, 1 library room, 1 hall, 2 canteens and hostels.
On 2 June 1988, a new building block containing eight classrooms was used to accommodate a floating classroom that has been around since 1982. The school also received a mosque named " Al - Rahman " and was inaugurated on 13 February 1993 . Building "board" has also been turned into stone buildings starting in October 1994. At the end of 1998, the work of building another block of four storey building has commenced.
The school motto is Berilmu, Berdispilin and Berjaya meaning Knowledge and Discipline empowers Success.
From the 1920s to 1970s the Latin motto was 'Labor omnia vincit' meaning 'Work conquers all' or 'Hardwork overcomes all difficulties.'
Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan Tinggi Kajang, Jalan Semenyih, Bandar Kajang 43000 Kajang, Malaysia
- The Editorial Board,. Gemilang, Diamond Jubilee. Malaysia: Sincere Press Sdn. Bhd.
- Kajang High School Editorial Board, (1999). Gemilang. 66th ed. Selangor, Malaysia : Sincere Press Sdn. Bhd.
- Low, Y.K., . Kajang High School. Viewed on 2 March 2011. Available from http://kajangtown.blogspot.com/2007/04/kajang-high-school.html.