Just a Breath Away
Just a Breath Away (French: Dans la brume) is a Canadian-French co-produced thriller film, directed by Daniel Roby and released in 2018. The film stars Romain Duris and Olga Kurylenko as Mathieu and Anna, parents trying to protect their daughter (Fantine Harduin) from a toxic gas cloud that is enveloping Paris.
|Just a Breath Away (Alternate title: Hold Your Breath)|
|Dans la brume|
|Directed by||Daniel Roby|
|Produced by||Guillaume Colboc|
Nicolas Duval Adassovsky
|Written by||Guillaume Lemans|
|Music by||Michel Corriveau|
|Edited by||Stan Collet|
The film was released in France on 4 April 2018. It screened on opening night at the Fantasia International Film Festival.
Parisian girl Sarah is one of a group of children who suffer from a mysterious 'total allergy' auto-immune syndrome that forces them to live in hermetically-sealed capsules, while her parents, scientists Matheiu and Anne, desperately search for a cure. Soon after Mathieu returns from Canada with news of a possible breakthrough, there is an apparent earthquake, followed by the release of a deadly gas which emerges from the ground and begins to spread through the streets, killing everyone who is caught in it. Fortunately, the gas proves to be heavier than air, and Mathieu and Anna find refuge above the mist in the top-floor apartment of their elderly neighbours, Lucien and Colette, but Sarah is still in her bubble in the family's now fog-filled flat, with only limited battery power to keep her air filtration system operating. With the mist still slowly rising, food in short supply, and all power and communication cut, Mathieu and Anna must brave the dense toxic fog and the corpse-strewn streets to find equipment that will allow Sarah to escape the confines of her pod, so that the family can flee the city.
|Award||Date of ceremony||Category||Recipient(s)||Result||Ref(s)|
|Canadian Screen Awards||31 March 2019||Best Motion Picture||Christian Larouche, Guillaume Colboc, Nicolas Duval Adassovsky||Nominated|
|Best Director||Daniel Roby||Nominated|
|Best Supporting Actor||Michel Robin||Nominated|
|Best Original Screenplay||Guillaume Lemans||Nominated|
|Best Overall Sound||Bernard Gariépy Strobl||Nominated|
|Best Sound Editing||Martin Pinsonnault||Nominated|
|Best Makeup||Françoise Quilichini||Won|
|Best Visual Effects||Benoit Brière, Bruno Maillard||Won|
|Fantasia International Film Festival||July 2018||Best Film||Won|
|Prix Iris||2 June 2019||Best Visual Effects||Aurélia Abate, Delphine Lasserre, Bruno Maillard, Benoît Brière, Louis-Philippe Clavet, Valérie Garcia, Étienne Rodrigue||Won|
- Lussier, Marc-Andre (February 4, 2018). "Un film français pour Daniel Roby". La Presse. Retrieved 23 March 2019.
- "Just a Breath Away (Dans la brume)". Windsor International Film Festival. Retrieved 23 March 2019.
- "'Just a Breath Away' ('Dans la brume'): Film Review". The Hollywood Reporter. April 9, 2018.
- "French film Just A Breath Away breaks from the usual drama or comedy genre". The Straits Times. November 14, 2018.
- Vlessing, Etan (June 14, 2018). "Daniel Roby's 'Just a Breath Away' to Open Fantasia Film Fest". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 23 March 2019.
- "Canadian Screen Awards: Anne with an E, Schitt's Creek lead contenders". CBC News. February 7, 2019.
- "Just a Breath Away". Academy of Canadian Cinema & Television. Retrieved 23 March 2019.
- Duchesne, Andre (31 March 2019). "Cinq prix Écrans canadiens à La grande noirceur". La Presse (in French). Retrieved 31 March 2019.
- Reid, Regan (July 26, 2018). "Dans La Brume wins big at Fantasia". Playback. Retrieved 23 March 2019.
- Marc-Andre Lussier (2 June 2019). "La Bolduc domine au Gala Artisans Québec Cinéma". La Presse (in French). Retrieved 2 June 2019.