Just Around the Corner (1921 film)
Just Around the Corner is an extant 1921 American silent drama film produced by William Randolph Hearst's Cosmopolitan Productions and distributed through Paramount Pictures. The film is based on a short story, "Superman," by Fannie Hurst and was directed by Frances Marion, a prolific Hollywood scenarist.
|Just Around the Corner|
|Directed by||Frances Marion|
|Produced by||William Randolph Hearst (thru Cosmopolitan Productions)|
|Written by||Frances Marion (scenario)|
|Based on||short story "Superman"|
by Fannie Hurst
|Distributed by||Paramount Pictures|
|7 reels (6,173 feet)|
|Language||Silent (English intertitles)|
The cast are competent silent actors but no big names. Sigrid Holmquist came from Sweden but was no Garbo and Fred Thomson had married Marion in 1919, and later became a big cowboy star. Marion directed one other picture, her friend Mary Pickford's better-known The Love Light (1921).
As described in a film magazine, ailing Ma Birdsong's (Seddon) well intentioned but misguided daughter Essie (Holmquist) is wooed by a worthless young man, Joe Ullman (Phillips), who will not visit the home in the ghetto to visit either her mother or brother Jimmie (Sargent), who works to support and protect the family. Essie definitely dismisses him on a night when, unbeknownst to her, her mother is dying, but when she finds out she attempts to recall him so that her mother can believe that she will be well cared for. A passing stranger (Thomson) sympathy is aroused and he agrees to substitute for the trifling Joe. The mother dies peacefully after seeing him, and he eventually comes to love and marry Essie.
A copy of Just Around the Corner is in the collection of the Library of Congress.
- Progressive Silent Film List: Just Around the Corner at silentera.com
- The American Film Institute Catalog Feature Films: 1921-30 published by The American Film Institute, c.1971
- "Reviews: Just Around the Corner". Exhibitors Herald. New York City: Exhibitors Herald Company. 13 (26): 140. December 24, 1921.
- Catalog of Holdings The American Film Institute Collection and The United Artists Collection at The Library of Congress, p. 95 (The American Film Institute, 1978)
- The Library of Congress American Silent Feature Film Survival Catalog: Just Around the Corner
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Just Around the Corner (1921 film).|