Jungle Goddess is a 1948 American action/adventure crime film starring George Reeves, Ralph Byrd, and Wanda McKay. Directed by Lewis D. Collins, the film was based on an idea by producer William Stephens.
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Lewis D. Collins|
|Produced by||William Stephens|
|Screenplay by||Jo Pagano|
|Music by||Irving Gertz|
|Edited by||Norman A. Cerf|
|Distributed by||Screen Guild Productions Commonwealth Pictures reissue|
Jungle Goddess was later featured in a Season 2 episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000.
In Africa, pilot Mike Patton is persuaded by his business partner, Bob Simpson, to conduct a search for a missing heiress whose plane supposedly went down in the jungle, resulting in her never being seen again.
Encountering an indigenous tribe of natives, Bob recklessly shoots a man. He is taken before a woman, Greta, who is being treated like a high priestess. Bob is sentenced to die, but when she gets Mike off to herself, Greta pleads with him to help her escape.
During a struggle, a gun goes off and a guard is left dead. With the tribesmen in pursuit, Mike and Greta are betrayed by Bob, who has gone mad. But after he is killed by a spear, Mike and Greta make it to the plane and safely get away.
- George Reeves as Mike Patton
- Wanda McKay as Greta Vanderhorn
- Ralph Byrd as Bob Simpson
- Armida as Wanama
- Onest Conley as Drummer
- Rudy Robles as Nugara
- Jack Carroll as Accompanist
- Dolores Castle as Yvonne
- Fred Coby as Pilot
- Helena Grant as Mrs. Fitzhugh
- Reed Hadley as Radio Newscaster (uncredited)
- Sam Harris as Bar Patron (uncredited)
- Linda Leighton as Helen Phillips (credited as Linda Johnson)
- William H. O'Brien as Bartender (uncredited)
- Smoki Whitfield as Oolonga the witch doctor
- Zack Williams as Chief M'benga
The film was the first to be produced by Robert L. Lippert's independent production company, Lippert Pictures.
The film was popular enough for a follow up Green Gold which became Thunder in the Pines.
- Davis, Blair (2012). The Battle for the Bs: 1950s Hollywood and the Rebirth of Low-budget Cinema. Rutgers University Press. p. 84. ISBN 978-0-813-55324-5.
- Schallert, E. (1948, May 28). Hodiak star in 'bribe,' carlson will produce. Los Angeles Times (1923-Current File) Retrieved from https://search.proquest.com/docview/165839834
- Schallert, E. (1948, Oct 29). Powell duels with sultry jane greer; outlaw queen. Los Angeles Times (1923-Current File) Retrieved from https://search.proquest.com/docview/165854083
- challert, E. (1948, Jul 13). Cameron story-buyer; 'green gold' slated. Los Angeles Times (1923-Current File) Retrieved from https://search.proquest.com/docview/165891603
- Tye, Larry (2012). Superman: The High-Flying History of America's Most Enduring Hero. Random House Digital, Inc. p. 353. ISBN 978-1-588-36918-5.