Journey Together (1945) is a British drama war film directed by John Boulting and starring Richard Attenborough, Jack Watling, and David Tomlinson. In the film, two Englishmen (Attenborough and Watling) become friends and train with the Royal Air Force, ending with a bombing raid on Berlin. It is also Boulting's film directorial debut.
|Directed by||John Boulting|
|Produced by||John Boulting|
|Written by||John Boulting|
|Music by||Gordon Jacob|
|Edited by||Reginald Beck|
|Distributed by||RKO Pictures|
|95 minutes (UK version)|
80 minutes (U.S. version)
Two RAF aircrew cadets, Jack Wilton (Richard Attenborough) and John Aynesworth (Jack Watling) become friends. A friendly rivalry develops between the two while they are training, and it ends in a bet. They both pass their initial training and are sent to the United States for more advanced instruction. However, once there, it becomes clear that Corporal Wilton, while he is otherwise a great pilot, cannot land a plane because of his inability to judge height. Wilton is devastated, and the feeling worsens when he sees that Aynesworth is a natural pilot. Aynesworth proceeds with his pilot's training, and Wilton is sent up to Canada to be trained as a navigator instead.
He turns out to be a good navigator, but he shows no interest in his training, and falls behind his peers. Then, on a practice flight, through the connivance of his trainer and Aynesworth, he realizes how important his job is. After graduating, he serves as navigator to Aynesworth on a bombing operation. During the raid, the plane is hit and begins to lose fuel; Wilton must demonstrate everything he learned when they have to land in the sea and he communicates their position. It turns out that he perfectly calculated their position, and the rescue plane quickly finds them.
- Richard Attenborough as David Wilton
- Jack Watling as John Aynesworth
- David Tomlinson as Smith
- Stuart Latham as Flight Sergeant Fitter
- Hugh Wakefield as Acting Lieutenant
- Bromley Challenor as Airman Second Class Jay
- Ronald Squire as Aircrew Interview Board Group Captain
- Derek Twist as Aircrew Interview Board Wing Commander
- Reginald Tate as Initial Training Wing Commanding Officer
- Edward G. Robinson as Dean McWilliams
- Bessie Love as Mary McWilliams
According to Kinematograph Weekly, the film performed well at the British box office in 1945.
- "Journey Together (1945)". BFI.
- Gifford, Denis, ed. (1 April 2016). British Film Catalogue. 2. Routledge. p. 530. ISBN 978-1-317-74063-6.
- Murphy, Robert (2 September 2003). Realism and Tinsel: Cinema and Society in Britain 1939–48. Routledge. p. 208. ISBN 978-1-134-90150-0.
- Journey Together on IMDb
- Journey Together at AllMovie
- Journey Together at the TCM Movie Database
- Journey Together at the British Film Institute
- Journey Together at BritMovie.co.uk
- Review of film at Variety