Josh (TV series)
Josh is a British television sitcom about three young adults who share a flat near Holloway Road in North London. The series was created by and stars Josh Widdicombe. A pilot episode aired in 2014 as part of the BBC "Comedy Feeds", and a full six-episode series aired from 11 November to 16 December 2015 on BBC Three. A second series of Josh was released from 22 September 2016 on Three's now online-only channel. The day that the final episode of series two aired on BBC One, the BBC announced it had commissioned a third series, which was released on 2 October 2017.
|Created by||Josh Widdicombe|
|Written by||Josh Widdicombe|
|Directed by||David Schneider|
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|No. of series||3|
|No. of episodes||19 (list of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Stephen McCrumb|
|Running time||25-28 minutes|
|Original network||BBC Three / BBC One|
|Picture format||16:9 1080i|
|Audio format||Dolby Digital|
|Original release||29 August 2014 (pilot)|
11 November 2015 –
In their review of Josh, The Independent commented that there was "nothing original or remarkable about the set-up - or much of the script - but there's promising chemistry between its stars." They said that the main actors were far too old to be convincing 20-something university pals. However, they singled out Edmondson as "very watchable", saying her "comic timing stuck out".
The Arts Desk was scathing about the series, saying "It's horribly bland and it's difficult to see how Josh can avoid suffering the ignominy of lasting only one series".
The Guardian thought there was "a nice chemistry" between the three main characters and the series was funny "in a nice, cosy, safe, familial, familiar kind of way".
Chortle said "the comedy, which returns to BBC Three tomorrow despite a tepid critical response last year, is technically competent and adheres to all the rules of the genre: the scenes are tight and each line works towards a gag. But it’s also bland, lacking a strong personality or deeper purpose other than to deliver contrived lines. Nothing much has changed since the first series".
A DVD set containing the episodes of the first series was released on 5 September 2016. A second series DVD set was made available on 31 October 2016. A third series DVD set was made available on 13 November 2017.
- s2 e5
- "Josh". BBC Three. BBC. December 2015.
- "Josh". BBC Media Centre. Retrieved 24 September 2016.
- "BBC Three sitcom Josh commissioned for a third series". Retrieved 4 November 2016.
- Leel, Veronica (12 November 2015). "Josh, BBC Three". The Arts Desk. Retrieved 13 December 2015.
- Newall, Sally (11 November 2015). "Josh, TV review: Beattie Edmondson's comic timing stuck out". The Independent. Retrieved 13 December 2015.
- Wollaston, Sam (19 November 2015). "Toast of London review: not as well done as it was, but Toast is still delicious". theguardian.com. Retrieved 16 December 2015.
- "Josh - Series 1 DVD". Amazon. Retrieved 13 November 2016.
- "Josh - Series 2 DVD". Amazon. Retrieved 13 November 2016.
- "Josh - Series 3 DVD". Amazon. Retrieved 14 November 2017.