Jonathan Paul Clayden
|Born||February 6, 1968|
|Awards||Royal Society of Chemistry's Merck Prize|
Royal Society of Chemistry's Stereochemistry Prize
Royal Society of Chemistry's Corday-Morgan Medal
|Institutions||University of Bristol|
University of Manchester
University of Cambridge
|Thesis||The asymmetric epoxidation of allylic phosphine oxides: a stereocontrolled synthesis of allylic systems (1993)|
|Doctoral advisor||Stuart Warren|
In 1992 he obtained his PhD at the University of Cambridge working with Dr Stuart Warren on asymmetric synthesis using phosphine oxide chemistry. He then carried out a postdoc with Prof Marc Julia and in 1994 became a lecturer in organic chemistry at the University of Manchester where he became a reader in 2000 and a Professor of Organic Chemistry in 2001. In 2015 he moved to a chair in chemistry at the University of Bristol.
His research interests encompass various areas of synthesis and stereochemistry, particularly where conformation has a role to play: asymmetric synthesis, atropisomerism, organolithium chemistry, remote stereochemical effects and dynamic foldamer chemistry. He is one of the authors of the organic chemistry textbook - Organic Chemistry by Clayden, Greeves, & Warren. He also wrote Organolithiums: Selectivity for Synthesis, which concerns the use of organolithium compounds in organic synthetic reactions.
From 2005 to 2011 he was editor-in-chief of the Open Access Beilstein Journal of Organic Chemistry.
- Clayden, Jonathan (1993). The asymmetric epoxidation of allylic phosphine oxides: a stereocontrolled synthesis of allylic systems (PhD thesis). University of Cambridge.
- Clayden, Jonathan; Moran, Wesley J.; Edwards, Paul J.; LaPlante, Steven R. (2009-08-17). "The Challenge of Atropisomerism in Drug Discovery". Angewandte Chemie International Edition. 48 (35): 6398–6401. doi:10.1002/anie.200901719. ISSN 1521-3773. PMID 19637174.
- Byrne, Liam; Solà, Jordi; Boddaert, Thomas; Marcelli, Tommaso; Adams, Ralph W.; Morris, Gareth A.; Clayden, Jonathan (2014-01-03). "Foldamer-Mediated Remote Stereocontrol: >1,60 Asymmetric Induction". Angewandte Chemie International Edition. 53 (1): 151–155. doi:10.1002/anie.201308264. ISSN 1521-3773. PMID 24375739.
- Le Bailly, Bryden A. F.; Clayden, Jonathan (2016-03-24). "Dynamic foldamer chemistry". Chem. Commun. 52 (27): 4852–4863. doi:10.1039/c6cc00788k. PMID 26955864.
- Clayden, Jonathan; Greeves, Nick; Warren, Stuart (2012). Organic Chemistry (Second edition). Oxford: OUP. ISBN 978-0-19-927029-3.
- Clayden, Jonathan (2002). Organolithiums: Selectivity for Synthesis. Oxford: Pergamon. ISBN 978-0-08-043261-8.