Joint Services Command and Staff College
Joint Services Command and Staff College (JSCSC) is a British military academic establishment providing training and education to experienced officers of the Royal Navy, Army, Royal Air Force, Ministry of Defence Civil Service, and serving officers of other states.
|Motto||"Unity is Strength"|
|Defence Academy of the United Kingdom|
|Commandant||Major General Andrew Roe|
JSCSC combined the single service provision of the British Armed Forces: Royal Naval College, Greenwich, Staff College, Camberley, RAF Staff College, Bracknell, and the Joint Service Defence College, Greenwich. Initially formed at Bracknell in 1997, the college moved to a purpose-built facility in the grounds of the Defence Academy of the United Kingdom at Watchfield in Oxfordshire in 2000.
Command, control and organisation
JSCSC is a component of the Defence Academy and the commandant is a full member of the DA Management Board, reporting to the director of the Defence Academy. The commandant is a two-star appointment (rear admiral, major general or air vice marshal) and can be filled by candidates from each of the three services. Within JSCSC itself, each service is represented by a one-star assistant commandant, each with responsibility for both single service issues and delivery of training. The dean of academic studies leads King's College London's Defence Studies Department, which provides theoretical and conceptual academic education in partnership with the military directing staff.
As of 2016, the JSCSC provides the following courses, amongst others:
- Higher Command and Staff Course: aimed at OF-6 rank (Commodores, Brigadiers & Air Commodores) or OF-5 (Captains RN, Colonels & Group Captains)
- Advanced Command and Staff Course: aimed at OF-4 rank (Commanders, Lieutenant Colonels & Wing Commanders)
- Intermediate Command and Staff Course: aimed at OF-3 rank (Lieutenant Commanders, Majors & Squadron Leaders)
Royal Navy Division
- Intermediate Command and Staff Course (Maritime): Aimed at Lieutenant Commanders, Lieutenants and civil servants
- Command, Leadership, Management and Ethos
- Staff and Communication Skills, including Defence Writing
- Strategic Studies: The International Environment and UK Defence Management
- Maritime Studies: Strategy, Environment, Capabilities, and the Royal Navy
- Joint Studies: Capabilities, Environment, and Joint and Combined Operations
- Intermediate Command and Staff Course (Maritime Reserve)
- Advanced Amphibious Warfare Course
- Intermediate Command and Staff Course (Land): Aimed at Army and Royal Marine Majors, and civil servants
- Intermediate Command and Staff Course (Land Reserve)
The college crest features a cormorant (Phalacrocorax carbo), a symbol of all three armed services; Britain's largest seabird flies, swims on the sea surface and catches its fish underwater, yet builds its nest on dry land (either on cliffs or in riverside trees). The cormorant was derived from the symbol of the Joint Service Defence College. The alumni association of the college, open to graduates of the Higher Command and Staff Course, the Advanced Command and Staff Course and staff of the college, is named the Cormorant Club.
- 1 September 1997 Major General T J Granville-Chapman
- 4 January 2000 Air Vice-Marshal B K Burridge
- 28 January 2002 Rear Admiral R J Lippiett
- 3 March 2003 Major General J McColl
- 1 March 2004 Major General N R Parker
- July 2005 Air Vice-Marshal N D A Maddox
- 4 September 2007 Rear Admiral N Morisetti
- 8 October 2009 Major General G Binns
- 2 September 2010 Air Vice-Marshal R Lock
- 31 August 2012 Rear Admiral J Morse
- August 2014 Major-General J R Free
- February 2017 Air Vice-Marshal Chris Luck
- May 2019 Major General Andrew Roe
- Ministry of Defence: The Joint Services Command and Staff College National Audit Office Report 2002
- The Defence Studies Department :Defence Studies Department :King's College London
- "Intermediate Command and Staff Course (Maritime) - Course Details". www.da.mod.uk. Retrieved 2016-10-12.
- "Intermediate Command and Staff Course (Maritime Reserve) - Course Details". www.da.mod.uk. Retrieved 2016-10-12.
- "Advanced Amphibious Warfare Course - Course Details". www.da.mod.uk. Retrieved 2016-10-12.
- "Intermediate Command and Staff Course (Land) - Course Details". www.da.mod.uk. Retrieved 2016-10-12.
- "Intermediate Command and Staff Course (Land Reserve) - Course Details". www.da.mod.uk. Retrieved 2016-10-12.
- "Intermediate Command and Staff Course (Air) - Course Details". www.da.mod.uk. Retrieved 2016-10-12.
- The Cormorant Club, Defence Academy website
- Heads of colleges on RAF web Archived 2002-06-15 at the Wayback Machine
- "Senior tri-service and Ministry of Defence posts" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 17 November 2015. Retrieved 1 April 2017.