John Warburton (actor)
John Warburton was a British actor who appeared in numerous Hollywood films in the 1930s to 1960s.
|Alma mater||Oxford University|
Born in Drogheda, Ireland, Warburton studied for the ministry at Oxford University and served in the British military beginning in 1916. He came to the United States as a stowaway on a freighter and began acting on stage in New York.
On Broadway, Warburton portrayed Cyril Beverley in Bird in Hand (1930). His film career began with RKO's Secrets of the French Police (1932). His work on television included performing on 35 episodes of Fireside Theater. He also guest starred in television series such as Perry Mason and the Star Trek episode "Balance of Terror".
In 1933, Warburton was in the center of legal trouble in Los Angeles. A grand jury indicted two men for beating and robbing Warburton in revenge for his alleged beating of actress Alice White. She testified that an argument at a party led to Warburton's battery, which resulted in her spending four days in bed to recover.
- The Silver Lining (1932) - Larry Clark
- Secrets of the French Police (1932) - Leon Renault
- Cavalcade (1933) - Edward Marryot
- Love Is Dangerous (1933) - Steve
- A Study in Scarlet (1933) - John Stanford
- Blind Adventure (1933) - Reggie
- Charlie Chan's Greatest Case (1933) - John Quincy Winterslip
- Let's Talk It Over (1934) - Alex Winters
- Dizzy Dames (1935) - Rodney Stokes
- Becky Sharp (1935) - Beau Brummel (uncredited)
- Partners of the Plains (1938) - Ronald Harwood
- The Sisters (1938) - Anthony Bittick
- Captain Fury (1939) - Bob
- The White Cliffs of Dover (1944) - Reggie Ashwood
- Marriage Is a Private Affair (1944) - Chris (uncredited)
- Nothing but Trouble (1944) - Ronetz
- The Valley of Decision (1945) - Giles
- Dangerous Partners (1945) - Clyde Ballister
- Confidential Agent (1945) - Neil Forbes
- Saratoga Trunk (1945) - Bartholomew Van Steed
- Tarzan and the Huntress (1947) - Carl Marley
- Living in a Big Way (1947) - 'Skippy' Stuart Simms
- Bronco Buster (1952) - Crawford (uncredited)
- City Beneath the Sea (1953) - Captain Clive
- East of Sumatra (1953) - Gregory Keith
- The Royal African Rifles (1953) - Col. Burke
- Headline Hunters (1955) - Harvey S. Kevin
- The Mating Game (1956) - Marshall (uncredited)
- From the Terrace (1960) - Partner (uncredited)
- Secret File: Hollywood (1962) - Jimmy Cameron
- King Rat (1965) - The Commandant
- Assault on a Queen (1966) - Bank Manager
- Funny Girl (1968) - Card Player (uncredited)
- Nighthawks (1978) - (final film role)
- "John Warburton". Asbury Park-Press. New Jersey, Asbury Park. Associated Press. October 29, 1981. p. 20. Retrieved September 29, 2019 – via Newspapers.com.
- "John Warburton Ready to Start Playhouse Role". The Los Angeles Times. California, Los Angeles. November 28, 1934. p. 17. Retrieved September 29, 2019 – via Newspapers.com.
- "John Warburton, 78, Actor on Broadway and in Movies". The New York Times. United Press International. November 2, 1981. Archived from the original on 23 October 2017. Retrieved 23 October 2017.
- "John Warburton". Internet Broadway Database. The Broadway League. Archived from the original on September 29, 2019. Retrieved September 29, 2019.
- John Warburton filmography at All Movie Guide
- Nusser, Nancy (November 2, 1981). "Young Stowaway Found Success as 'Hollywood's Beau Brummel'". The Los Angeles Times. California, Los Angeles. p. 25. Retrieved September 29, 2019 – via Newspapers.com.
- Balance of Terror at startrek.com
- "Alice White Tells Story of Terrific Beating by Actor". The Ottawa Citizen. Canada, Ottawa, Ontario. Associated Press. October 14, 1933. p. 26. Retrieved September 29, 2019 – via Newspapers.com.
- John Warburton on IMDb
- John Warburton at the Internet Broadway Database
- John Warburton at Memory Alpha (a Star Trek wiki)