John V, Lord of Arkel
John V, Lord of Arkel (11 September 1362 in Gorinchem – 25 August 1428 in Leerdam) was Lord of Arkel, Haastrecht and Hagestein and stadtholder of Holland, Zeeland and West Frisia. He was a son of Lord Otto of Arkel and his wife, Elisabeth of Bar-Pierrepont.
|John V, Count of Arkel|
Coat of arms of the House of Arkel
|Born||11 September 1362|
|Died||25 August 1428 65) (aged|
|Noble family||House of Arkel|
|Spouse(s)||Joanna of Jülich|
|Father||Otto, Lord of Arkel|
|Mother||Elisabeth of Bar-Pierrepont|
He acquired the Lordship of Haastrecht in 1380 and Hagestein in 1382. When he inherited Arkel from his father in 1396, he became a member of the court council of the Count of Holland.
During the reign of Albert I, the county suffered from a series of conflicts known as the Hook and Cod wars. John V sided with Albert I and the Cods. However, during a campaign in West Frisia, John V came into conflict with Albert's son, William VI, who sided with the Hooks. The murder of Aleid van Poelgeest may also have played a role in their animosity. Albert informed his father that John was no longer a faithful ally and John declared himself independent and refused to participate in further campaigns against the Frisians. This triggered the Arkel War, in which William VI conquered Arkel. John V lost his land and spent the years 1415-1426 in captivity.
John V died in Leerdam in 1428. His son William inherited his claim on the Land of Arkel.
Marriage and issue
- William (d. 1 December 1417 in Gorinchem)
- Maria (d. 1415, in IJsselstein), married John II, Count of Egmond
John had four illegitimate children:
- Otto (d. 1475, in Utrecht) married Jacobje of Arkel and had issue.
- Henneke, (d. 1420) married John of Egmond, Lord of Wateringen
- Wynand, (b. 1426) goldsmith
William died when he tried to reconquer Gorinchem, which had been a possession of Arkel for many years. He was between 30 and 34 years old and had no male heir. The Land of Arkel was divided between Holland and Guelders.
- (in Dutch) J.W. Groesbeek: De heren van Arkel, in: De Nederlandsche Leeuw 1954, 1954, col. 216.
- (in Dutch) M.J. Waale: De Arkelse Oorlog, 1401-1412, Verloren, Hilversum, 1990
- (in Dutch) Entry at genealogieonline.nl
John V, Lord of Arkel
House of ArkelBorn: 11 September 1362 Died: 25 August 1428
| Lord of Arkel