John Hardy (aviator)
John Laurence Hardy is an Australian aviator and businessman who founded the aviation company Airnorth in 1978 and Hardy Aviation in 1991. He was Administrator of the Northern Territory from November 2014 until October 2017.(born 14 September 1942)
|21st Administrator of the Northern Territory|
10 November 2014 – 30 October 2017
|Governor General||Sir Peter Cosgrove|
|Preceded by||Sally Thomas|
|Succeeded by||Vicki O'Halloran|
|Born||14 September 1942|
Midland, Western Australia
Marie Vincenette (m. 1962)
|Alma mater||South Australian Institute of Technology|
Hardy was born at Midland Junction in Perth, Western Australia, and moved to Broken Hill at the age of six, where his father, Evan, was chief metallurgist at North Broken Hill mine. He was schooled at Broken Hill High School.
He moved to the Northern Territory in 1971 to work as a pilot in the South Australian and Territory Air Services, where he flew supplies from Darwin to the Indonesian island of Ceram for the American oil giant Gulf and Western's oil field there. When aviation work was not available, Hardy worked as a radiographer at Darwin Hospital in Larrakeyah.
On 10 November 2014, Hardy was sworn in as Administrator of the Northern Territory by Governor-General Sir Peter Cosgrove.
In 2012 Hardy was awarded the Medal of the Order of Australia (OAM) for service to aviation in the Northern Territory, and to the community; and in 2017 he was appointed an Officer of the Order of Australia for distinguished service to the people of the Northern Territory, and as a patron and supporter of a range of aviation, health, emergency service and charitable organisations.
- Who's Who in Australia. ConnectWeb. 2015.
- "Family Notices". The West Australian (Perth, WA : 1879 – 1954). Perth, WA: National Library of Australia. 17 September 1942. p. 1. Retrieved 21 October 2015.
- Robertson, Andrew (1 November 2014). "Former local is NT's new Administrator". Barrier Daily Truth. Retrieved 21 October 2015.
- "Biography: His Honour the Honourable John Hardy OAM". Government House, Northern Territory. Retrieved 5 January 2015.
- "John Hardy – Hardy Aviation: Staying on to help" (PDF). Business Stories. Northern Territory Department of Business. Retrieved 5 January 2015.
- "John Hardy sworn in as new Administrator for the Northern Territory". ABC News. 10 November 2014. Retrieved 5 January 2015.
- HARDY, John Laurence, It's an Honour, 11 June 2012.
- "Officer (AO) in the General Division of the Order of Australia" (PDF). Australia Day 2017 Honours List. Governor-General of Australia. 26 January 2017. Retrieved 27 January 2017.
| Administrator of the Northern Territory