John Elliot (author)
John Herbert Elliot (4 July 1918 – 14 August 1997) was a British novelist, screenwriter and television producer. Between 1954 and 1960 he scripted a succession of one-off television plays including War in the Air and A Man from the Sun. The latter a pioneering work aimed at a West Indian audience. In 1961 he joined with astronomer Fred Hoyle (to ensure scientific authenticity) to write another ground-breaking TV, the science fiction serial A for Andromeda, which set the tone for all which was to follow in its stead. The success of A For Andromeda prompted a sequel, The Andromeda Breakthrough, in 1962.
|Born||4 July 1918|
Castle Hill, England
|Died||14 August 1997 79) (aged|
|Occupation||Screenwriter and television producer.|
|Genre||Drama, adventure, science fiction|
|Spouse||Elizabeth Haynes (m. 1945)|
|Children||two daughters, and one son (deceased)|
Following Andromeda, Elliot wrote more one-off plays, but his talents were perhaps underused by the BBC. He resigned from the corporation in 1963 but, as a parting gift, offered an option on his concept for the drama series Mogul (renamed The Troubleshooters from the second series) for which he wrote much of the seven series.
His other works include programmes such as Fall of Eagles and Survival as well as novels including Duel, Blood Upon the Snow, and A For Andromeda and The Andromeda Breakthrough (also co-written with Fred Hoyle).
|War in the Air||
|A Man from the Sun||
|Who Pays the Piper?||
|BBC Sunday-Night Play||
|They Met in a City||
|A for Andromeda||
|The Andromeda Breakthrough||
|A Stranger on the Hills||
|BBC Play of the Month||
|Play for Today||
|The Shadow of the Tower||
|Fall of Eagles||
|The Double Dealers||
|According to Hoyle||
|A Life at Stake||
|The Brack Report||
|Man-Eaters of India||
|Flying for Fun: An Affair with an Aeroplane||
|A Chance to Dance||
Awards and nominations
|1960||Society of Film and Television Arts Awards||Television||Special||Won|
|1971||British Academy Television Awards||The Troubleshooters||Shell International Award||Won|
Books by John Elliot
- A for Andromeda (with Fred Hoyle), 1962, Souvenir Press, ISBN 978-0-285-63588-3
- Andromeda Breaktrough (with Fred Hoyle), 1964, Souvenir Press; 1966, Corgi Books
- MOGUL: The Making of a Myth, 1970, Barrie & Jenkins
- "John Elliot".
- "The Fated Sky, War in the Air". BBC.
- "Obituary: John Elliot". 22 August 1997.
- "BFI Screenonline: Man From The Sun, A (1956)". www.screenonline.org.uk.
- "BFI Screenonline: A For Andromeda (1961)". www.screenonline.org.uk.
- "BFI Screenonline: Mogul/Troubleshooters, The (1965-72)". www.screenonline.org.uk.
- NA, NA (5 March 2016). Writers Directory. Springer. ISBN 9781349036509 – via Google Books.