John Cairney (born 16 February 1930) is a Scottish film and television actor who is well known to audiences in Scotland and internationally through his one-man shows on Robert Burns, Robert Louis Stevenson, Robert Service, Charles Rennie Mackintosh and William McGonagall.
|Spouse(s)||Sheila Parker Cowan (1954-1979) |
Alannah O'Sullivan (1980–present)
He has worked as an actor, recitalist, lecturer, director and theatre consultant. He is also a published author and an exhibited painter. Trained at the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama, he was a notable Hamlet at the Citizens' Theatre and a successful Macbeth at the Edinburgh Festival. He was 'This Man Craig' on television, while his many films include Lucky Jim, A Night to Remember, Operation Bullshine, The Flesh and the Fiends, Victim, Cleopatra and Jason and the Argonauts.
He gained a PhD. from Victoria University, Wellington, New Zealand and is much in demand internationally as a lecturer, writer and consultant on Robert Louis Stevenson, Charles Rennie Mackintosh and Robert Burns.
Cairney has written books on many famous Scots as well as other books on football (particularly Celtic F.C.), theatre and his native Glasgow, where he now lives with his New Zealand-born wife, actress and scriptwriter Alannah O'Sullivan.
|1957||Ill Met by Moonlight||Elias|
|1957||Miracle in Soho||Tom|
|1957||Windom's Way||Jan Vidal|
|1958||A Night to Remember||Mr. Murphy|
|1959||Shake Hands with the Devil||Mike O'Callaghan|
|1959||Operation Bullshine||Gunner Willie Ross|
|1960||The Flesh and the Fiends||Chris Jackson|
|1960||The Edgar Wallace Mysteries - Marriage of Convenience||Larry Wilson|
|1963||Jason and the Argonauts||Hylas|
|1964||The Devil-Ship Pirates||Harry|
|1965||Spaceflight IC-1||Dr. Steven Thomas|
|1965||A Study in Terror||Michael Osborne|
- McIver, Brian (16 February 2012). "Scots acting legend John Cairney tells us about his Titanic adventures on classic movie A Night To Remember". dailyrecord.
- "Seven stories from Mackintosh's artistic journey". 27 March 2019.
- "Collection of material relating to John Cairney (b1930), actor, director and playwright - Archives Hub". archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk.
- "John Cairney". BFI.
- Cairney, John (20 July 2000). "On the Trail of Robert Burns". Dundurn – via Google Books.
- "Author details | Scottish Book Trust". www.scottishbooktrust.com.
- Cairney, John (2011). The Sevenpenny Gate: A Lifelong Love Affair with Celtic FC. Mainstream Publishing. ISBN 978-1845967772.
- Official website
- John Cairney on IMDb
- Amazon author profile
- Bain, Sara (8 May 2009). "Red, Red Rose at the Theatre Royal". Dumfries & Galloway Standard. Retrieved 13 June 2009.