John Charles Preston "Jack" Besford, OBE (30 January 1911 – 26 February 1993) was an English competitive swimmer who represented Great Britain in the Olympics and European championships, and England in the British Empire games, during the 1930s. Besford competed primarily in the backstroke.
|Full name||John Charles Preston Besford|
|Born||30 January 1911|
|Died||26 February 1993 82) (aged|
Besford was European 100-metre backstroke champion in 1934. He won the bronze medal for England at the 1930 British Empire Games and silver at the 1934 British Empire Games in London, both in the 100-yard backstroke event. In 1934 he was also a member of the English team which won the bronze medal in the medley relay contest. Besford also competed in the 1928 Summer Olympics where he finished sixth in the 100-metre backstroke. Eight years later he was eliminated in the semi-finals of the 100-metre backstroke.
He studied dentistry at The University of Manchester, and after serving as an officer in World War II, he taught dentistry at the University of Beijing, China. He later spent time in Yokohama, Japan, before returning to the UK to operate a dental practice in Brighton. He was appointed to the Order of the British Empire (OBE) in the 1975 New Year's Honours List for services to the British community of Tokyo.
References and notes
- "Index entry". FreeBMD. ONS. Retrieved 14 September 2009.
- "Sport in Short: Swimming". The Independent. 10 March 1993. Retrieved 14 September 2009.
- "Restoring Manchester". Student Direct. 8 March 2004. Archived from the original on 3 October 2011. Retrieved 17 April 2008.
- "My Brighton and Hove: John Besford". Retrieved 17 April 2008.
- "Supplement To The London Gazette of Tuesday, 31 December 1974" (46444). London Gazette. 31 December 1974. p. 18.
- John Charles Preston Besford at the British Olympic Association at the Wayback Machine (archived 2010-02-03)
- Evans, Hilary; Gjerde, Arild; Heijmans, Jeroen; Mallon, Bill. "Jack Besford (full name: John Charles Preston Besford)". Olympics at Sports-Reference.com. Sports Reference LLC. Archived from the original on 2011-05-19.