Jogues is a dispersed rural community and unincorporated place in geographic Way Township, Cochrane District in Northeastern Ontario, Canada. It is about 11 kilometres (6.8 mi) southwest of Hearst (about 10–15 minutes by vehicle). Jogues is also a designated place served by a local services board.
dispersed rural community
Location in Ontario
|Coordinates: 49°35′51″N 83°44′44″W|
|• Total||79.37 km2 (30.64 sq mi)|
|Elevation||256 m (840 ft)|
|• Density||4.1/km2 (11/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern Time Zone)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (Eastern Time Zone)|
|Area code(s)||705, 249|
The community is located on Ontario Highway 583 and the Algoma Central Railway; the railway location is also known as Stavert. In the case of the railway, Jogues lies between the communities of Coppell to the south and Wyborn (today part of and on the west side of Hearst) to the north; and in the case of the highway, between Coppell to the south and central Hearst to the north.
The community is mainly French-speaking, has a church, and children are bussed to Hearst for school.
|Canada census – Jogues, Ontario community profile|
|Population:||325 (-8.2% from 2006)||354 (% from 2001)|
|Land area:||79.37 km2 (30.64 sq mi)|
|Population density:||4.1/km2 (11/sq mi)|
|Total private dwellings:||136|
|Median household income:|
|References: 2011 2006 earlier|
- "Jogues". Geographical Names Data Base. Natural Resources Canada. Retrieved 2014-08-29.
- Taken from Google Earth at geographic coordinates, accessed 2014-08-29.
- "Way" (PDF). Geology Ontario - Historic Claim Maps. Ontario Ministry of Northern Development, Mines and Forestry. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2014-09-03. Retrieved 2014-08-29.
- "2011 Community Profiles". 2011 Canadian Census. Statistics Canada. July 5, 2013.
- "2006 Community Profiles". 2006 Canadian Census. Statistics Canada. March 30, 2011.
- "2001 Community Profiles". 2001 Canadian Census. Statistics Canada. February 17, 2012.
Other map sources: