Joel Patfull (born 7 December 1984) is a former professional Australian rules footballer who played for the Brisbane Lions and the Greater Western Sydney Giants in the Australian Football League (AFL). He was also listed with the Port Adelaide Football Club from 2003 to 2004, but he did not play a senior match.
Patfull warming up for Brisbane in 2010
|Full name||Joel Patfull|
|Date of birth||7 December 1984|
|Original team(s)||Norwood (SANFL)|
No. 14, 2003 rookie draft|
No. 56, 2005 national draft
No. 32, 2017 rookie draft
|Height||190 cm (6 ft 3 in)|
|Weight||88 kg (194 lb)|
|2003–2004||Port Adelaide||0 (0)|
|2006–2014||Brisbane Lions||182 (24)|
|2015–2017||Greater Western Sydney||38 (2)|
|International team honours|
1 Playing statistics correct to the end of 2016.
2 State and international statistics correct as of 2011.
|Sources: AFL Tables, AustralianFootball.com|
After playing his junior football at the Payneham Norwood Union Football Club and then the Norwood Football Club Patfull was recruited onto the Port Adelaide rookie list in 2003, but was dropped at the end of the 2004 season. He was then recruited to the Brisbane Lions as the number 56 draft pick in the 2005 AFL Draft.
He made his senior debut for the Brisbane Lions in round 8, 2006 against his former club, Port Adelaide where he scored a goal with his first kick of AFL football. He went on to play the remaining 15 games of the 2006 season.
After the 2006 AFL season, it was speculated in the media that Patfull was enticed to return to Adelaide by the Adelaide Crows and the Port Adelaide Power, however his manager announced in mid-November that Patfull had accepted a two-year contract to continue his career with the Brisbane Lions. While not a flashy player, Patfull's discipline and work ethic have made him a respected player amongst Brisbane supporters.
In 2014, at the conclusion of the season, Patfull was traded to the Greater Western Sydney Football Club in exchange for pick 21 in the draft.
|Totals||Averages (per game)|
|2015||Greater Western Sydney||24||16||1||2||100||88||188||71||34||0.1||0.1||6.3||5.5||11.8||4.4||2.1|
|2016||Greater Western Sydney||24||22||1||0||125||100||225||84||59||0.0||0.0||5.7||4.5||10.2||3.8||2.7|
|2017||Greater Western Sydney||—||0||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
- "Making best of second chance - Official AFL website of the Brisbane Lions AFC". Lions.com.au. 8 September 2012. Retrieved 12 October 2012.
- "Patfull shows some Hart - Official AFL website of the Brisbane Lions AFC". Lions.com.au. 6 October 2012. Retrieved 12 October 2012.
- Lions defender Joel Patfull completes switch to GWS, AFL.com.au official website, 10 October 2014
- Curley, Adam (12 October 2016). "Patfull calls time, set to sit on Giants' rookie list". AFL.com.au. Retrieved 12 October 2016.
- Browne, Ashley (28 November 2016). "Giants reunite ex-Dockers Mzungu and de Boer". AFL.com.au. Bigpond. Retrieved 28 November 2016.
- "Joel Patfull stats". AFL Tables. Retrieved 13 November 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Joel Patfull.|