Joe Hutshing is an American film editor who grew up in San Diego, California and is best known for working multiple times with film director, Oliver Stone and well as with film director Cameron Crowe (who is also from San Diego, California). Hutshing graduated from the University of Oregon in 1980.
Hutshing has received Academy Awards for the films Born on the Fourth of July (1989) and JFK (1991); both were directed by Oliver Stone. His greatest commercial successes have been The Tourist, which grossed 278 million dollars, and Jerry Maguire, which grossed 274 million dollars worldwide.
Hutshing has been elected to membership in the American Cinema Editors.
As film editor
The release date and director of each film are indicated in parentheses.
- Talk Radio (1988 - Stone)
- Born on the Fourth of July with David Brenner (1989 - Stone)
- The Doors with David Brenner (1991 - Stone)
- JFK with Pietro Scalia (1991 - Stone)
- Indecent Proposal (1993 - Lyne)
- French Kiss (1995 - Kasdan)
- Broken Arrow (1996 - Woo)
- Jerry Maguire (1996 - Crowe)
- Almost Famous with Saar Klein (2000 - Crowe)
- Vanilla Sky with Mark Livolsi (2001 - Crowe)
- Live from Baghdad (2002 - Jackson) (TV)
- Something's Gotta Give (2003 - Meyers)
- The Skeleton Key (2005 - Softley)
- The Holiday (2006 - Meyers)
- Lions for Lambs (2007 - Redford)
- W. (2008 - Stone)
- It's Complicated (2009 - Meyers)
- The Tourist (2010 - Donnersmarck)
- Savages (2012 - Stone)
- Robin Hood with Chris Barwell (2018 - Bathurst)
Academy Award nominations and wins
Other Award Nominations & Wins
- 1990 – Born on the Fourth of July (nominated) American Cinema Editors ACE Eddie - Best Edited Feature Film w/ co-editor David Brenner
- 1992 – JFK (won) American Cinema Editors ACE Eddie - Best Edited Feature Film w/ co-editor, Pietro Scalia
- 1993 – JFK (won) BAFTA Film Award - Best Editing w/ co-editor, Pietro Scalia
- 2001 – Almost Famous (won) American Cinema Editors ACE Eddie - Best Edited Feature Film - Comedy or Musical w/ co-editor, Saar Klein
- 2001 – Almost Famous (nominated) Las Vegas Film Critics Society Awards - Sierra Award - Best Editing w/ co-editor, Saar Klein
- 2003 – Live from Baghdad (2002) (TV) (won) Emmy Award - Outstanding Single Camera Picture Editing for a Miniseries, Movie or a Special
- 2003 – Live from Baghdad (2002) (TV) (nominated) American Cinema Editors ACE Eddie - Best Edited Motion Picture for Non-Commercial Television
- Rowe, Robin (2007). "The Hutshing Hustle: Self-Taught Editor for Hire", Editors Guild Magazine Volume 28, Number 6, November–December. Online version retrieved 2008-06-23.