Joanneum Research

JOANNEUM RESEARCH Forschungsgesellschaft mbH is one of the largest non-academic research institutes in Austria. Besides its headquarters in Graz it is also based in Weiz, Hartberg, Niklasdorf, Klagenfurt and Vienna. 85 percent of the company are owned by the province of Styria, the remaining 15 percent are held by the province of Carinthia.

JOANNEUM RESEARCH Forschungsgesellschaft mbH
Gesellschaft mit beschränkter Haftung
IndustryApplied research, R&D, consulting
Founded1960s 1986 (as GmbH)
Key people
Dr. Wolfgang Pribyl (CEO)
OwnerProvince of Styria and BABEG - Kärntner Betriebsansiedlungs- & Beteiligungsgesellschaft
Number of employees
450 (July 2015)

Research Areas and Institutes

Research is performed in six institutes and one center, each comprising one to six research groups.

Institute for Surface Technology and Photonics (MATERIALS)

  • Micro- and nanostructuring
  • Light and optical technologies
  • Laser processing
  • Sensor systems
  • Functional surfaces

Institute for Biomedicine and Health Sciences (HEALTH)

  • Biomedical technology and monitoring
  • Bioanalytics and metabolomics
  • Health sciences

Institute for Information and Communication Technologies (DIGITAL)

Institute for Water, Energy and Sustainability (RESOURCES)

  • Water resources and environmental analytics

Institute for Economic and Innovation Research (POLICIES)

  • Technology, innovation and policy consulting
  • Statistical applications
  • Regional economics and structural policy

Institute for Robotics and Mechatronics (ROBOTICS)

  • Robot safety
  • Colloborative robotics

Center for Climate, Energy and Society (LIFE)

  • Weather and climate risk management
  • Future energy systems and lifestyle
  • International climate policy and economics


The name JOANNEUM RESEARCH is derived from Archduke John (1782-1859), who was very interested in natural sciences. The slogan of the company is „The Innovation Company“.

This article is issued from Wikipedia. The text is licensed under Creative Commons - Attribution - Sharealike. Additional terms may apply for the media files.