Jill Adams (22 July 1930 – 13 May 2008) was an English actress, artist and fashion model. She featured or starred in over 25 films during the 1950s and 1960s.
Jillian Mary Marguerite Siggins
22 July 1930
|Died||13 May 2008 77) (aged|
|Other names||Elizabeth Gillian|
|Occupation||Model, actress, restaurateur|
|Spouse(s)||Jim Adams (m. 1951–53)|
Peter Haigh (m. 1957–76)
|Parent(s)||Mother. Mary Marguerite Siggins (nee Potter) Arthur James Siggins.|
Jill Adams began life as Jill Siggins. She started modelling, only to be 'discovered' and begin an acting career that spanned two decades. Her most notable films were comedies, at which she excelled, such as Doctor at Sea, Brothers in Law and The Green Man, in which she starred with Alastair Sim and George Cole. She also did some stage and radio work.
She had a brief marriage to Jim Adams, a young American navy yeoman, which resulted in the birth of a daughter, Tina. However, the union did not last and Jill pursued her acting in Europe, the U.S. and Australia.
In 1957, she married the well-known BBC TV and radio personality Peter Haigh, and had a second daughter, Peta Louise. In 1971, the whole family moved to the Algarve, in southern Portugal, where they ran a small hotel for several years in the village of Albufeira.
When her second marriage ended, she continued with a restaurant career, accompanied by her partner Mike. Some years later she retired from the business and with her new partner, Buster, an accountant, went to live just outside Lisbon. They later moved to Spain, where they enjoyed homes close to Alicante, then Barcelona and eventually in the Costa del Sol.
After Buster died in 1996, she moved back to Portugal, to be with her granddaughter, Emma, and her great-granddaughter, Tania, and began painting again. She battled cancer from 2005 until her death.
- Forbidden Cargo (1954) as Michael's Dance Partner (uncredited)
- The Young Lovers (1954) as Judy (uncredited)
- The Black Knight (1954) as Extra (uncredited)
- The Love Match (1955) as Clarrie (uncredited)
- Out of the Clouds (1955) as Bit Part (uncredited)
- One Jump Ahead (1955) as Judy
- The Constant Husband (1955) as Joanna
- Doctor at Sea (1955) as Jill
- Value for Money (1955) as Joy
- One Way Out (1955) as Shirley Harcourt
- Count of Twelve (1955)
- Private's Progress (1956) as Prudence Greenslade
- The Green Man (1956) as Ann Vincent
- Brothers in Law (1957) as Sally Smith
- The Scamp (1957) as Julie Cunningham
- Death Over My Shoulder (1958) as Evelyn Connors
- Dust in the Sun (1958) as Julie Kirkbridge
- Carry On Constable (1960) as WPC Harrison
- Crosstrap (1962) as Sally
- The Yellow Teddy Bears (1963) as June Wilson
- Doctor in Distress (1963) as Genevieve
- The Comedy Man (1964) as Jan Kennedy (uncredited)
- Promise Her Anything (1965) as Mrs. B.M. von Crispin (final film role)
- "Jill Adams: Actress billed as 'Britain's Monroe'". The Independent. 6 August 2008.
- Gaughan, Gavin (10 August 2008). "Obituary: Jill Adams". The Guardian.