Jewett is a city in Leon County, Texas, United States. The population was 1,167 at the 2010 census. Jewett is the birthplace of Alger "Texas" Alexander, Fritz Von Erich and Romus Burgin. It was laid out in 1871 by the International Railroad Company.
Location of Jewett, Texas
|Coordinates: 31°21′44″N 96°8′41″W|
|• Total||2.1 sq mi (5.4 km2)|
|• Land||2.1 sq mi (5.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||492 ft (150 m)|
|• Density||418.4/sq mi (161.5/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1360250|
Jewett is located at 31°21′44″N 96°8′41″W (31.362119, -96.144630).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 2.1 square miles (5.4 km2), of which, 2.1 square miles (5.4 km2) of it is land and 0.04 square miles (0.10 km2) of it (0.97%) is water.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 861 people, 333 households, and 223 families residing in the city. The population density was 418.4 people per square mile (161.4/km²). There were 399 housing units at an average density of 193.9 per square mile (74.8/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 75.15% White, 7.67% African American, 14.87% from other races, and 2.32% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 23.58% of the population.
There were 333 households out of which 38.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 47.1% were married couples living together, 14.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 33.0% were non-families. 30.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 14.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.59 and the average family size was 3.22.
In the city, the population was spread out with 31.6% under the age of 18, 10.1% from 18 to 24, 27.4% from 25 to 44, 18.7% from 45 to 64, and 12.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 31 years. For every 100 females, there were 94.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 87.6 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $26,250, and the median income for a family was $33,500. Males had a median income of $31,667 versus $20,347 for females. The per capita income for the city was $17,469. About 21.4% of families and 26.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 29.7% of those under age 18 and 21.0% of those age 65 or over.
The City of Jewett is served by the Leon Independent School District.
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Jewett has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- A Memorial and Biographical History of Navarro, Henderson, Anderson, Limestone, Freestone and Leon Counties, Texas. Chicago: Lewis Publishing Company. 1893. p. 465. Retrieved 28 September 2014.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Archived from the original on April 26, 2015. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- Climate Summary for Jewett, Texas