Coat of arms
|Coordinates: 53°18′28″N 09°57′15″E|
|• Mayor||Udo Heitmann (SPD)|
|• Total||27.97 km2 (10.80 sq mi)|
|Elevation||34 m (112 ft)|
|• Density||280/km2 (730/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
|Dialling codes||04181, 04183|
In Jesteburg lies the confluence of two small rivers, the Schmale Aue and the Seeve.
The first official mentioning of Jesteburg dates back to the year 1202, in a document signed by the Hartwig II, Archbishop of Bremen.
The castle which gave the town its name is supposed to have guarded the Seeve passage until the 13th century. Remains of this Burg have not yet been found.
During an Allied air raid on nearby Hamburg in January 1943 incendiary bombs where dropped on Jesteburg, several buildings where destroyed. On 19 April 1945, the railroad bridge was blown up by the Wehrmacht to slow the advance of British troops.
Between 1933 and 1945 the population of Jesteburg nearly doubled, mostly due to refugees.
In 1986/87, the Heimathaus was re-erected on the Niedersachsenplatz. The Heimathaus is a 450-year-old building originally from Eyendorf.