Jerudong International School
Jerudong International School (Abbrev: JISBrunei) is a co-educational, boarding and day school in Brunei, Southeast Asia. It has 1670 students from 55 countries. 200 Boarding students. Jerudong International School (JISBrunei) offers a British International education.
|Jerudong International School|
|Founder||Prince Jefri Bolkiah|
|Age||2 to 18|
|Houses||Senior School Houses: Argus, Barbet, Blackeye, Eagle, Fireback, Frogmouth, Hawk, Heron, Ibis, Kingfisher, Monarch, Osprey, Sandpiper, Skylark, Swift and Whistler|
Junior School Houses: Blue, Green, Red and Yellow
|Colour(s)||Maroon, navy and gold|
|Affiliations||FOBISIA, HMC, AoBSO, BSA, COBIS, CIE, AQA, Edexcel, IB|
Junior School is from Nursery to Year 6. The Senior School offers the Middle Years Programme in Year 7,8 and 9; the IGCSE and GCSE in Years 10 and 11. In the Pre-university programme - Years 12 and 13, there is a choice of the A Level examination and IB Diploma pathway.
The school is affiliated to several British school organisations such as the Headmasters' and Headmistresses' Conference (HMC), the Federation of British International Schools in Asia (FOBISIA) and the Boarding Schools' Association (BSA). JIS is proud to be recognised by the prestigious Good School Guide too. Jerudong International School first opened its doors for primary education in January 1997 and subsequently for secondary in October in the same year.
His Majesty Sultan Haji Hassanal Bolkiah Mu’izzaddin Waddaulah ibni Al-Marhum Sultan Haji Omar ‘Ali Saifuddien Sa’adul Khairi Waddien, Sultan and Yang Di-Pertuan of Brunei Darussalam and Her Majesty Duli Raja Isteri Pengiran Anak Hajah Saleha binti Al-Marhum Pengiran Pemancha Pengiran Anak Haji Mohamed Alam graciously have attended the School on a number of occasions.
Jerudong International School is an accredited British School Overseas. It's most recent inspection by PENTA International (the overseas accreditation body for OFSTED) was in January 2019. The School was the first international school in the world to achieve OUTSTANDING or the Highest Level possible in the 9 areas inspected by the inspection team.
The School offers IGCSEs and A Levels from the Cambridge Assessment International Examination Board, Edexcel and AQA Examination Boards.
Jerudong International School is housed in a dedicated 120 acre campus located in Kampong Tungku, a designated village on the outskirt of Bandar Seri Begawan. It is also close to Universiti Brunei Darussalam and the headquarters of DST, a telecommunications service provider.
The facilities are 'Outstanding'.
Jerudong International School] provides comprehensive education from Nursery to Year 13 following a British International National Curriculum. The School is divided into the Junior School (Nursery, Kindergarten, Reception and Years 1-6) and Senior School Middle Years: Years 7-9 and Upper Years: the 2 year IGCSE course for Years 10 & 11 and in Years 12 and 13, a pre-university pathway).
The Early Years of the Junior School consist of Nursery, Kindergarten and Reception. The School follows the UK Early Years Foundation Programme for these years. Junior Years are Years 1 to 6. The Junior School is usually attended by pupils from age two in Nursery to age eleven in Year 6.
The Middle Years are the first three years of the Senior School and help students to transition from Junior School and prepare for the Upper Years.
Students in Years 10 and 11, the first two years of the Upper Years, study for a two-year programme: the GCSE or the IGCSE (an international version of GCSE offered by Cambridge International Examinations (CIE) and also Edexcel). At the end of the two years, students sit for the internationally recognised examinations.
Years 12 and 13 form a pre-university pathway, helping to prepare JIS graduates for University in UK, USA, Australia, Canada and other recognised institutions across the world. Students can choose to study either the A Level Examinations. or they can choose to study the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme.
Attainment of either qualification allows students to proceed to the university level.
|Junior School||Early Years||Nursery|
|Junior Years||Years 1 - 6|
|Senior School||Middle Years||Years 7 - 9|
|Upper Years||Years 10 & 11 (IGCSE)|
|Years 12 & 13 (A Level or IB Diploma)|
The Ugama School was established in Jerudong International School in 2005 mainly to fulfill the need of Bruneian Muslim students for primary religious education, even more so after the codification of Perintah Pendidikan Ugama Wajib Brunei 2012 (literal translation: Brunei Compulsory Religious Education Order 2012). Under the Order, it is compulsory for parents in which at least one of them is Bruneian citizen to ensure their children who are Muslim, born after 1 January 2006 and reside in the country to attend primary religious school. At the end of Ugama years, students sit for Sijil Sekolah-Sekolah Rendah Ugama (SSSRU, literal translation: Religious Primary Schools Certificate). Generally students have completed the Ugama school by Year 8; a few may finish at the later years because they may have resided outside of the country in their early years.
Jerudong International School offers an 'Outstanding' boarding experience for over 200 Boarding students from 11 years of age. Students can be either weekly boarders or full term boarders. Boarders are allocated to one of the four boarding houses run by teachers from the school. The boys houses are Eagle House and Ibis House. Kingfisher House and Osprey House are for the girls. All Boarding Houses cater students of Years 7 above. All Houses are safely located within the extensive 120 acre school campus.
In line with British school tradition, Jerudong International School adopts the House system, in which students are put into 'Houses' and awarded House points for achievements attained in the academics, co- and extra curricular activities. At the end of the year, the House that have accumulated the most points receives the House Trophy.
The Junior School has four Houses, namely:
- Red House;
- Yellow House;
- Green House;
- Blue House.
The Senior School has 12 Day and 4 Boarding Houses all named after birds of Borneo. The Boarding Houses are Eagle, Ibis, Kingfisher and Osprey House. Eight of the 16 Houses are for boys and eight of the Houses are for girls. Each Boys House is partnered with a Girls House. Regular House events such as Spelling Bee, House Debate, JIS has Talent and House Sports competitions for the House Cup are held within the School.
|Name||Boarding||Brother / Sister House||Boy / Girl House|
The school compound is a single site area of 120 acres. Jerudong International School is known to have extensive facilities for various academic and non-academic uses. An aerial video shows the extensive, world class facilities
The Sports Complex opened in January 2017 and is situated in the area between the main school buildings and boarding houses. It has two indoor multi-purpose courts, one 8 lane, 25m indoor swimming pool and fitness room. There are also grounds for outdoor sports such as football and rugby, as well as another swimming pool of 50m in length with four lanes.
The Jerudong International School Arts Centre is a multi-purpose complex dedicated to the performing arts which was opened in October 2011. The Arts Centre comprises a theatre, which can accommodate up to 725 guests on normal seating, a Black Box Theatre, an Art Gallery, a Conference Room, Orchestra Rehearsal Room, spaces for exhibition, dance studio and several bespoke drama classrooms. The JIS Arts Centre has also become the venue for Toyota Classics Orchestra in Brunei since 2012. In 2017, the Earl and Countess of Wessex visited the school and Arts Centre.
The JIS orchestra is one of the few orchestras in Brunei and has performed for international dignitaries such as Crown Prince Al-Muhtadee Billah, Prince Charles of Wales and Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall. As an expression of appreciation after a private concert, Prince Al-Muhtadee Billah gave the JIS Orchestra the Brunei model of the Fazioli concert grand piano was produced with inlays of precious stones, mother of pearl and exotic woods.
Jerudong International School is a member of several British school organisations, namely the Headmasters' and Headmistresses' Conference (HMC), Association of British Schools Overseas (AoBSO), the Federation of British International Schools in Asia (FOBISIA), the Council of British International Schools (COBIS) and the Boarding Schools Association (BSA).
The GCSE, IGCSE and A Level qualifications are based on AQA, Cambridge International Examinations (CIE) and Edexcel. Jerudong International School is also an IB World School and has offered the IB Diploma Programme since 8 April 2011.
- Prince Abdul Malik
- Prince Abdul Mateen
- Princess Hajjah Rashidah Saadatul-Bolkiah
- Princess Hajjah Hafiza Sururul-Bolkiah
- Princess Azemah Nimatul-Bolkiah
- Princess Fadzillah Lubabul-Bolkiah
- Prince ‘Abdu’l Muni’m
- Prince Abdul Wakeel
- Princess Ameerah Wardatul Bolkiah
- "About | Jerudong International School". jerudonginternationalschool.com. Retrieved 14 December 2019.
- Year 6 Graduation 2018 - Jerudong International School (JIS Brunei), retrieved 14 December 2019
- Jerudong International School: Inspection Report January 2019
- British Schools Overseas: accredited schools inspection reports
- IB World Schools Year Book
- "Academic Curriculum | Junior School | Jerudong International School". jerudonginternationalschool.com. Retrieved 14 December 2019.
- "IGCSE | Senior School | Jerudong International School". jerudonginternationalschool.com. Retrieved 14 December 2019.
- JISBrunei. "Jerudong International School, Brunei - Association of British Schools Overseas". Association of British Schools Overseas. Retrieved 11 June 2017.
- "Junior School | Jerudong International School". jerudonginternationalschool.com. Retrieved 14 December 2019.
- "Senior School: Middle Years | Jerudong International School | Brunei, Southeast Asia". www.jerudonginternationalschool.com. Retrieved 14 December 2019.
- "IB Diploma | A Levels | Pre-University | Jerudong International School | Brunei, Southeast Asia". www.jerudonginternationalschool.com. Retrieved 14 December 2019.
- "A Levels | Pre-University | Jerudong International School | Brunei | Southeast Asia". www.jerudonginternationalschool.com. Retrieved 14 December 2019.
- "IB Diploma | Pre-University | Jerudong International School | Brunei | Southeast Asia". www.jerudonginternationalschool.com. Retrieved 14 December 2019.
- "Login - Jerudong International School". jis.fireflycloud.asia. Retrieved 14 December 2019.
- "Perintah Pendidikan Wajib | Kementerian Hal Ehwal Ugama, Negara Brunei Darussalam". www.kheu.gov.bn. Retrieved 11 June 2017.
- "Boarding Life | Jerudong International School | Brunei, Southeast Asia". www.jerudonginternationalschool.com. Retrieved 14 December 2019.
- "Boarding Houses | Jerudong International School | Brunei, Southeast Asia". www.jerudonginternationalschool.com. Retrieved 14 December 2019.
- "Jerudong International School". www.boarding.org.uk. Retrieved 11 June 2017.
- "Campus | Jerudong International School | Brunei, Southeast Asia". www.jerudonginternationalschool.com. Retrieved 14 December 2019.
- "New JIS sports complex offers 'further opportunities' | Borneo Bulletin Online". Borneo Bulletin Online. 18 February 2017. Retrieved 11 June 2017.
- "JIS ARTS CENTRE | HOME". www.jisartscentre.com. Retrieved 14 December 2019.
- "JIS Arts Centre". jisartscentre.com. Retrieved 11 June 2017.
- "JIS Arts Centre | Auditorium". jisartscentre.com. Retrieved 11 June 2017.
- "Royalty At Toyota Classics 2012". BorneoPost Online | Borneo, Malaysia, Sarawak Daily News. 10 November 2012. Retrieved 11 June 2017.
- "Toyota Classics". Toyota Classics. Retrieved 14 December 2019.
- The Earl and Countess of Wessex visits JIS (Full) - Jerudong International School (JIS Brunei), retrieved 14 December 2019
- "Jerudong International School - HMC". HMC. Retrieved 11 June 2017.
- "FOBISIA: Jerudong International School". www.fobisia.org. Retrieved 11 June 2017.
- "Jerudong International School". International Baccalaureate®. Retrieved 11 June 2017.