Jefferies Financial Group
|Leucadia National Corporation|
|Founder||Ian M. Cumming|
Joseph S. Steinberg
|Headquarters||New York City|
|Richard B. Handler, CEO|
Brian P. Friedman, President
Joseph S. Steinberg, Chairman
|Total assets|| |
|Total equity|| |
Number of employees
|12,700, including consolidated subsidiaries (2017)|
- Jefferies Group (100%) - investment banking & capital markets
- Berkadia Commercial Mortgage (50/50 joint venture with Berkshire Hathaway) - commercial mortgage banking, investment sales and servicing
- HomeFed (65% ownership) - real estate
- FXCM (49.9%) - online foreign exchange trading
- Foursight Capital (100%) - vehicle finance
- National Beef Packing Company (79%) - beef processing
- HRG Group (23%) - insurance and consumer products
- Vitesse Energy (96%) - oil and gas exploration and development
- Juneau Energy (98%) - oil and gas exploration and development
- Garcadia Holdings (75%, Joint venture with Ken Garff Automotive Group) - automobile dealerships
- Linkem (57%) - fixed wireless broadband services
- Golden Queen (35%) - a gold and silver mining project
- Idaho Timber (100%) - manufacturing
In 1984, the company made a $61 million profit on its $77 million investment in Avco Corporation by forcing the sale of the company to Textron.
In 1991, the company acquired insurer Colonial Penn from Florida Power & Light for $150 million.
In 1998, the company sold Charter National Life Insurance and Intramerica Life Insurance to Allstate.
In July 2004, the company sought, but failed, to buy a controlling stake in MCI Communications. In September 2004, the company sold its stake in MCI for a $20 million profit.
In 2007, the company acquired ResortQuest International from Gaylord Hotels for $35 million.
In 2010, the company sold ResortQuest International to Wyndham Worldwide for $56 million in cash.
In 2011, the company acquired a 79% interest in National Beef Packing Company for $867.9 million.
In 2012, the company proposed building a $3 billion syngas facility in south Chicago to convert coal and petroleum waste into natural gas; however, the plant never received legislative approval.
In 2013, the company merged with Jefferies Group and Richard Handler became chief executive officer of the company.
- Leucadia National Corporation 2017 Form 10-K Annual Report
- Prang, Allison (April 9, 2018). "Leucadia to Focus More on Financial Business". Wall Street Journal. ISSN 0099-9660. Retrieved July 2, 2018.
- "BRIEF-Leucadia National Corp Changes Name To Jefferies Financial Group Inc". Reuters. May 23, 2018. Retrieved May 28, 2018.
- "Fortune 500 Companies 2019: Who Made the List". Fortune. Retrieved September 25, 2019.
- CRUDELE, JOHN (May 25, 1985). "LEUCADIA: SUCCESSFUL LONER". The New York Times.
- KOLODY, TRACY (April 6, 1991). "Fpl Group Finds Buyer For Insurer Colonial Penn Brings In $150 Million". Sun-Sentinel.
- "Conseco Planning to Acquire Colonial Penn". The New York Times. Bloomberg News. May 1, 1997.
- "GE Capital to Buy Colonial Penn". Reuters. Los Angeles Times. July 1, 1997.
- "Allstate to buy 2 Leucadia companies". Deseret News. Bloomberg News. December 22, 1998.
- "Williams Communications emerges from bankruptcy as WilTel". American City Business Journals. October 16, 2002.
- "Leucadia National Corporation Proposes to Acquire WilTel Communications Group, Inc. Common Stock" (Press release). Business Wire. May 15, 2003.
- "Hardware: Leucadia To Acquire Remainder Of Wiltel". The New York Times. Bloomberg News. August 13, 2003.
- George, John (September 29, 2003). "Leucadia National buys RehabWorks". American City Business Journals.
- Swarts, Will (January 12, 2004). "Gotham Partners' Ackman Back in Hedge Fund Game". TheStreet.com.
- BELSON, KEN (July 13, 2004). "Leucadia Seeks to Buy Controlling Stake in MCI". The New York Times.
- Tharp, Paul (July 13, 2004). "LEUCADIA EYES MCI TAKEOVER". The New York Post.
- Stern, Christopher (September 28, 2004). "Declared Suitor Sells Its Stake In MCI". The Washington Post.
- "Leucadia National Corporation Completes Sale of WilTel Communications Group, LLC to Level 3 Communications, Inc" (Press release). Business Wire. December 23, 2005.
- "Gaylord Sells Mainland ResortQuest Business". Hotel Business Review. June 5, 2007.
- "Berkadia Commercial Mortgage LLC Completes Acquisition of Capmark's North American Loan Origination and Servicing Business" (Press release). Business Wire. December 11, 2009.
- "Wyndham to buy ResortQuest for $56 million". Bloomberg News. NJ.com. September 22, 2010.
- "Leucadia National Corporation Announces Agreement to Acquire Control of National Beef and Declares $0.25 Per Share Cash Dividend" (Press release). Business Wire. December 5, 2011.
- Hawleyt, Brenna (December 6, 2011). "National Beef owners reach $867.9M deal to sell majority stake to Leucadia". American City Business Journals.
- Murtaugh, Dan (January 12, 2012). "Illinois ruling hurts Leucadia synthetic gas proposal". The Birmingham News.
- "Leucadia National Corporation and Jefferies Group, Inc. Merger to Be Effective March 1, 2013" (Press release). Business Wire. February 28, 2013.
- Stone, Mike; Chavez-Dreyfuss, Gertrude; Toonkel, Jessica (January 16, 2015). "FX broker FXCM gets rescue from Jefferies parent Leucadia". Reuters.
- "Leucadia and FXCM Complete Long-Term Partnership Agreement" (Press release). GlobeNewswire. September 1, 2016.
- Business data for Jefferies Financial Group: