Jean George Auriol
Jean George Auriol
8 January 1907
|Died||2 April 1950|
|Other names||Jean-Georges Auriol|
|Years active||1926–1950 (film)|
Jean George Auriol (born Jean-Georges Huyot; his name is sometimes written as Jean-Georges Auriol) was the son of the French poet, artist, and type-designer George Auriol. In December 1928 Auriol published the first issue of a magazine called Du cinéma which, after being adopted by the publisher Gallimard, became La Revue du cinéma. It ran for a total of 29 issues until December 1931, and it established a reputation for intellectual seriousness and the quality of its contributors, who included Jacques Brunius, Louis Chavance, and Jean-Paul Le Chanois. Auriol established a structure for each issue (a major article, a selection of studies, film reviews and news items) which became a model for other journals.
In 1946 Auriol launched a second series of La Revue du cinéma, still with Gallimard, and it continued for a run of 19 issues until autumn 1949. Among the writers who featured in it at this period were Éric Rohmer, Jacques Doniol-Valcroze, Pierre Kast, and André Bazin. After the closure of the journal, and after the death of Auriol, members of this group were among the founders of Cahiers du cinéma, of which the initial design and content were modelled on the earlier journal. The first issue of Cahiers was dedicated to Auriol.
Between 1930 and 1950, Auriol wrote a large number of articles for other film journals. He also earned his living as a screenwriter, on several occasions for Marcel L'Herbier.
Selected filmography (screenwriter)
- Lucien Logette, "Jean George Auriol ou l'Oublié majuscule", in La Lettre du syndicat français de la critique de cinéma, no.39 (nov. 2011) pp. 24–25. [In French]
- Dudley Andrew, André Bazin; revised edition. (New York: Oxford University Press, 2013.) p. 159.)
- Claude Beylie, Une histoire du cinéma français. (Paris: Larousse, 2005.) p.452.
- Dictionnaire du cinéma français; sous la direction de Jean-Loup Passek. (Paris: Larousse, 1987.) p. 20.
- "Notre ami Jean-Georges Auriol" (by Claude Autant-Lara & Jean-Paul Le Chanois), in L'Écran Français, no. 250, avril 1950, p. 3.