Jean Delannoy (12 January 1908 – 18 June 2008) was a French actor, film editor, screenwriter and film director.
Jean Delannoy, 2000s.
|Died||18 June 2008 100) (aged|
|Occupation||Actor, film editor, screenwriter, film director|
(1986; Lifetime Achievement)
Although Delannoy was born in a Paris suburb, his family was from Haute-Normandie in the north of France. He was a Protestant, a descendant of Huguenots, some of whom fled the country during the French Wars of Religion, and settled first in Wallonia. Afterwards, their name became De la Noye and then Delano, who were on the second ship to immigrate to Plymouth, Massachusetts.
He was a student in Paris when he began acting in silent films. He eventually landed a job with Paramount Studios Parisian facilities, working his way up to head film editor. In 1934 he directed his first film and went on to a long career, both writing and directing. In 1946, his film about a Protestant minister titled La symphonie pastorale was awarded the Palme d'Or at the Cannes Film Festival. In 1960, his film, Maigret tend un piège was nominated for a BAFTA award for "Best Film from any Source". In recognition of his long service to the French motion picture industry, in 1986 Delannoy received an Honorary César Award.
- The Beautiful Sailor (1932)
- The Improvised Son (1932)
- The Premature Father (1933) (editor)
- Paris-Deauville (1934)
- Casanova (1934)
- Women's Club (1936) (assistant director)
- Nitchevo (1936)
- Michel Strogoff (1936)
- Golden Venus (1938)
- The Black Diamond (1941)
- Macao, l'enfer du jeu (1939/1942)
- L'Éternel retour (1943)
- La symphonie pastorale (1946)
- Les jeux sont faits (1947)
- Aux yeux du souvenir (1948)
- Le Secret de Mayerling (1949)
- Dieu a besoin des hommes (1950)
- La Minute de vérité (1952)
- Napoleon Road (1953)
- Destinées (1954)
- Obsession (1954)
- Marie-Antoinette reine de France (1956)
- The Hunchback of Notre Dame (French title: Notre Dame de Paris) (1957)
- Maigret tend un piège (1958)
- Venere Imperiale (1963)
- Les amitiés particulières (1964)
- Le Lit a Deux Places (1965)
- Le Majordome (1965)
- Le Lit à deux places (1966)
- Les Sultans (1966)
- Action Man (1967)
- La Peau de torpedo (1970)
- Pas folle la guêpe (1972)
- "Honorary Cesar". Académie des Arts et Techniques du Cinéma. Retrieved 22 June 2019.
- "Décès du réalisateur Jean Delannoy à l'âge de 100 ans" [Director Jean Delannoy dead at age 100]. La Dépêche du Midi (in French). 19 June 2008. Retrieved 21 June 2019.