Jean-Yves Beziau works in the field of logic—in particular, paraconsistent logic, the square of opposition and universal logic. He holds a Maîtrise in Philosophy from Pantheon-Sorbonne University, a DEA in Philosophy from Pantheon-Sorbonne University, a PhD in Philosophy from the University of São Paulo, a MSc and a PhD in Logic and Foundations of Computer Science from Denis Diderot University.
Jean-Yves Beziau is the editor-in-chief of the journal Logica Universalis and of the South American Journal of Logic—an online, open-access journal—as well as of the Springer book series Studies in Universal Logic. He is also the editor of College Publication's book series Logic PhDs
He has launched four major international series of events: UNILOG (World Congress and School on Universal Logic), SQUARE (World Congress on the Square of Opposition), WOCOLOR (World Congress on Logic and Religion), LIQ (Logic in Question). Such events have included major figures of mathematics, philosophy, computer science and religion such as Saul Kripke, Michal Heller, Laurent Lafforgue, Yuri Gurevich, Pierre Cartier , .
- "What is paraconsistent logic?" In D. Batens et al. (eds.), Frontiers of Paraconsistent Logic, Research Studies Press, Baldock, 2000, pp. 95–111. ISBN 0-86380-253-2
- Handbook of Paraconsistency (ed. with Walter Carnielli and Dov Gabbay). London: College Publication, 2007. ISBN 978-1-904987-73-4
- "Semantic computation of truth based on associations already learned" (with Patrick Suppes), Journal of Applied Logic, 2 (2004), pp. 457–467.
- "From paraconsistent logic to universal logic", Sorites, 12 (2001), pp. 5–32.
- Logica Universalis: Towards a General Theory of Logic (ed.) Basel: Birkhäuser Verlag, 2005, Second Edition 2007. ISBN 3-7643-7259-1
- "Logic is not logic", 'Abstracta' 6 (2010), pp. 73–102.
- "The power of the hexagon", Logica Universalis, 6 (2012), pp. 1–43.
- "History of truth-values", in D.M.Gabbay and J.Woods (eds) Handbook of the History of Logic, Vol. 11 - Logic: a history of its central concepts, Elsevier, Amsterdam, 2012, pp. 233–305
- The Square of Opposition: a General Framework for Cognition (ed. with Gillman Payette). Bern: Peter Lang, 2012. ISBN 978-3-0343-0537-2
- "The new rising of the square of opposition", in J.-Y.Béziau and D.Jacquette (eds), Around and Beyond the Square of Opposition, Birkhäuser, Basel, 2012, pp. 6–24.
- La pointure du symbole (ed.) Paris: Petra, 2014. ISBN 978-2-84743-048-6
- "The relativity and universality of logic", Synthese, 192 (2015), pp 1939–1954.