Janie Gets Married
Janie Gets Married is a 1946 American comedy film directed by Vincent Sherman, and written by Agnes Christine Johnston. The film stars Joan Leslie, Robert Hutton, Edward Arnold, Ann Harding, Robert Benchley, and Dorothy Malone. The film was released by Warner Bros. on June 22, 1946.
|Janie Gets Married|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Vincent Sherman|
|Produced by||Alex Gottlieb|
|Screenplay by||Agnes Christine Johnston|
|Music by||Friedrich Hollaender|
|Cinematography||Carl E. Guthrie|
|Edited by||Christian Nyby|
|Distributed by||Warner Bros.|
Dick Lawrence returns home from the Army and agrees to marry sweetheart Janie Conway, despite a month-to-month marital contract she has drawn up. Dick is also unaware that Janie is scheming to advance his career at her stepfather Charles Conway's newspaper.
Janie doesn't mind the arrival of soldier acquaintance "Spud" until it turns out Spud is an attractive former WAC. Things get further complicated when Spud is invited by Dick to spend a few days at their home, and when Janie's tomboy sister Elsbeth threatens to tell Dick what's really going on at the newspaper.
After attempting to make her husband jealous by demonstrating an interest in "Scooper," another military pal of his. Janie is caught kissing him, which nearly scuttles the sale of the paper until Elsbeth, of all people, saves the day for her sister.
- Joan Leslie as Janie Conway
- Robert Hutton as Dick Lawrence
- Edward Arnold as Charles Conway
- Ann Harding as Lucille Conway
- Robert Benchley as John Van Brunt
- Dorothy Malone as Sgt. Spud Lee
- Richard Erdman as Lt. 'Scooper' Nolan
- Clare Foley as Elsbeth Conway
- Donald Meek as Harley P. Stowers
- Hattie McDaniel as April
- Barbara Brown as Thelma Van Brunt
- Margaret Hamilton as Mrs. Angles
- Ann Gillis as Paula Rainey
- Ruth Tobey as Bernadine Dodd
- William Frambes as 'Dead Pan' Hackett
- "Janie Gets Married (1946) - Overview". TCM.com. Retrieved 2015-07-19.
- Crowther, Bosley (1946-06-15). "Movie Review - Janie Gets Married - THE SCREEN IN REVIEW; 'Janie Gets Married', Starring Joan Leslie, Robert Hutton and Late Bob Benchley, New Attraction at Strand Theatre 'Inside Job', Universal Crime Film, Comes to the Rialto- 'Hello, Moscow!' Is Russian Importation of the Stanley..." NYTimes.com. Retrieved 2015-07-19.