Wolffe before the Scottish Parliament in 2016
|Assumed office |
1 June 2016
|First Minister||Nicola Sturgeon|
|Deputy||Alison Di Rollo|
|Preceded by||Frank Mulholland|
|Born||20 December 1962|
|Alma mater||University of Edinburgh|
Balliol College, Oxford
Wolffe was born in Dumfries on 20 December 1962 to Alexandra L. Graham and Antony C. Wolffe, MBE. He was educated at Gatehouse Primary School and then Kirkcudbright Academy. He studied at the University of Edinburgh, graduating with an honours degree in law and a diploma in legal practice. He then went on to Balliol College, Oxford to take a Bachelor of Civil Law degree.
He was elected as Vice-Dean of the Faculty of Advocates in February 2013 and Dean of the Faculty of Advocates in February 2014, replacing Richard Keen. Wolffe was the winner of an election involving four candidates, and the first Dean to be elected by an electronic vote.
On 31 May 2016 the Scottish Government announced that First Minister Nicola Sturgeon had recommended Wolffe to the Scottish Parliament for appointment as Lord Advocate by the Queen. His appointment was confirmed by the Scottish Parliament on 1 June 2016.
Awards and Honours
In 2019 Wolffe was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh.
- Wolffe, (Walter) James,. Who's who and who was who. Oxford University Press. 2018. doi:10.1093/ww/9780199540884.013.247296.
- "Walter James Wolffe, former director at Faculty Services Limited, Edinburgh". www.checkdirector.co.uk. Retrieved 22 February 2018.
- "James voted Dean of the Scottish Bar". Edinburgh Evening News. 10 February 2014. Retrieved 1 June 2016.
- Forsyth, John (25 March 2013). "James Wolffe QC on his new post as vice-dean of the Faculty of Advocates". The Scotsman. Retrieved 1 June 2016.
- "New Dean of Faculty announced". 4 February 2014. Archived from the original on 22 February 2014.
- "Law Officer appointments". Scottish Government News. Retrieved 22 February 2018.
- "Holyrood approves James Wolffe and Alison Di Rollo as top legal officers". The Scotsman. 1 June 2016. Retrieved 5 June 2016.
- "Rt Hon Walter James Wolffe QC FRSE". The Royal Society of Edinburgh. 15 March 2019. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
| Lord Advocate