James Waterman Glover
He received in 1892 his bachelor's degree from the University of Michigan and in 1895 his Ph.D. in mathematics under Maxime Bôcher from Harvard University with thesis Properties of the Partial Differential Equation Δy + ky = 0. He became in 1895 an instructor, in 1903 an assistant professor, in 1906 an associate professor, and in 1911 a full professor at the University of Michigan, retiring as professor emeritus in 1938.
His keen interest in the theory of probability led him in 1902 to introduce a course in actuarial theory—the first course ever offered in this subject by any University in this country. As a result of his pioneering in this new field, his services were demanded by various states, the United States government, and by Canada in connection with various insurance, pension and banking investigations. He has also served various insurance companies in the capacity of consulting actuary. From 1910 to 1929 he served the U. S. Census Bureau as Expert Special Agent and during this time the United States Life Tables were prepared under his supervision ... From 1930 to 1932, while on leave of absence ... Professor Glover served as President of the Teachers Insurance and Annuity Association of America.
- "A general formula for the valuation of securities". American Mathematical Monthly. 22 (3): 82–88. March 1915. doi:10.2307/2971891.
- "The New United States Life Tables. Their Purpose and What They Show". Public Health Reports. 32 (1): 1–39. 5 January 1917. doi:10.2307/4574389. PMC 1999673. PMID 19314545.
- "Requirements for Statisticians and Their Training: I. Statistical Teaching in American Colleges and Universities". Journal of the American Statistical Association. 21 (156): 419–424. 1926. doi:10.1080/01621459.1926.10502195.
- Mathematics of annuities and insurance. 1905.
- with Laurence Ilsley Hewes: Highway bonds : a compilation of data and an analysis of economic features affecting construction and maintenance of highways financed by bond issues, and the theory of highway bond calculations. 1915.
- Double, triple, and multiple indemnity. 1922.
- with Harry C. Carver: Introduction to mathematical statistics. 1924.
- with Earl C. Wightman: Life insurance accounting. 1930.
- Karpinski, Louis (15 August 1941). "Obituary. James W. Glover". Science. 84 (2433): 156–157. doi:10.1126/science.94.2433.156.
- Craig, Cecil C. (1942). "James Waterman Glover, 1868–1941". Journal of the American Statistical Association. 37 (217): 116. doi:10.1080/01621459.1942.10500621.
- James Waterman Glover at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Field, Peter (1942). "James Waterman Glover—In Memoriam". Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. 48 (3): 199–200. doi:10.1090/s0002-9904-1942-07637-3. MR 1564348.
- James Waterman Glover | Faculty History Project, umich.edu
- Glover, James W (1924). "Quadrature Formulae When Ordinates Are Not Equidistant" (PDF). Proc. Intern. Math. Congr. Toronto. pp. 831–835.