James C. Cooney
James C. Cooney was a sergeant of the U.S. Army in the 8th U.S. Cavalry when he found large silver and gold reserves in the Mogollon Mountains of Catron County, New Mexico. He was transferred to Fort Bayard, near Silver City, New Mexico in 1870. While scouting for the 8th U.S. Cavalry north of Mogollon and east of Alma, he discovered silver ore in the Mogollon Mountains. He began working the claim after leaving the Army in 1876.
- (nd) "1850-1900". Table of Context. Retrieved November 1, 2018. Archived from the original March 7, 2015.
- Henry Chenoweth. "Cooney - New Mexico Ghost Town". Atjeu LLC. Retrieved January 22, 2008.
- Mazzio, J. (2003) Glenwood — for outdoor lovers Archived September 28, 2007, at the Wayback Machine. SouthernNewMexico.Com. Retrieved June 11, 2007.
- (nd) Alma Massacre Archived October 7, 2008, at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved June 11, 2007.
- (nd) Mogollon and area links. Mogollon Enterprises. Retrieved June 12, 2007.