Jacob Holm House
The Jacob Holm House is a historic property located at Strandgade 4B in the Christianshavn neighbourhood of Copenhagen, Denmark. It was owned by the wealthy industrialist and shipowner Jacob Holm from 1819 to 1845.
|Jacob Holm House|
The Jacob Holm House
It is unclear when the house was built and for whom but it was refurbished in the 1680s. It was probably a comprehensive refurbishment since some sources refer to it as a "New house". The lot was divided in two in 1689.
The house was purchased by Jacob Holm in 1819. He had lived at Strandgade 8 since 1811 and prior to that in a now demolished building at Rorvegade. In 1814, he had established a shipyard at Wilders Plads. In 1833, he purchased Applebys Plads. Holm made several changes to the house and lived in it with his family until his death in 1845, The priest N.F.S. Grundtvig lived on the third floor as a tenant from 1829 to 1840. Grundtvig had previously been priest at Church of Our Saviour. from 1722 to 1826.
The house is ten bays wide. A plaque above the entrance to the cellar commemorates that Grundtvig used to live in the building.
- "Strandgade 4 – 4 B" (PDF). Christianshavn Lokalhistoriske Arkiv (in Danish). Retrieved 27 November 2016.
- "Strandgade 4-4b-c". indenforvoldene.dk (in Danish). Retrieved 27 November 2016.
- Niels Brocks Gård at indenforvoldene.dk