JR Shikoku 2600 series
The 2600 series (2600系 2600-kei) is a two-car tilting diesel multiple unit (DMU) train type operated by Shikoku Railway Company (JR Shikoku) in Japan since August 2017 on limited express services in Shikoku.
Sets 2601 and 2602 on a special charter service in August 2017
|In service||August 2017|
|Manufacturer||Kawasaki Heavy Industries|
|Number built||4 cars (2 sets)|
|Number in service||4 cars (2 sets)|
|Line(s) served||Yosan Line, Dosan Line, Kōtoku Line|
|Car body construction||Stainless steel|
|Car length||20,800 mm (68 ft 3 in)|
|Width||2,834 mm (9 ft 3.6 in)|
|Height||3,560 mm (11 ft 8 in)|
|Floor height||1,105 mm (3 ft 7.5 in)|
|Doors||2 sliding doors per side|
|Maximum speed||120 km/h (75 mph)|
|Prime mover(s)||SA6D140HE-2 x 2 per car|
|Power output||(331 kW) per engine|
|Track gauge||1,067 mm (3 ft 6 in)|
The trains are built by Kawasaki Heavy Industries to a "Neo Japonisme" concept, combining traditional Japanese craftsmanship with modern styling. The trains operate at a maximum speed of 120 km/h (75 mph) in service.
The trains use the same pneumatic tilt system as the 8600 series EMU trains (instead of the pendulum system used in the older 2000 series trains) to allow faster speeds on curves. The train features a database of curves along the line, allowing the train to begin tilting before reaching the curve.
The 2600 series trains are scheduled to be used on the Yosan Line, Dosan Line, and Kōtoku Line from December 2017, replacing the ageing 2000 series DMU trains. The trains will have a maximum service operating speed of 120 km/h (75 mph).
Passenger accommodation consists of ordinary-class 2+2 abreast reclining seats, with the same seat design as used on the 8600 series EMU trains. Each seat is provided with an AC power outlet. The Mc car has maroon colour seat covers, while the Mc' car has dark blue seat covers. The Mc' car has a toilet, while the Mc car includes a wheelchair space and universal access toilet. LED lighting is used throughout.
Regular revenue service commenced on 2 December 2017, but prior to this, two two-car sets were first used in revenue service on 11 August 2017 on a special charter service between Takamatsu and Tokushima. From 12 to 15 August 2017, the two sets were also used on additional seasonal Awadori limited express services operating between Takamatsu and Tokushima.
In September 2017, JR Shikoku announced that the pneumatic tilting system used on the trains did not operate effectively, and future trains built based on the 2600 series design would use a pendular tilting system instead.
The first new 2700 series set based on the 2600 series has been finished in 2018, and will be in operation in autumn 2019.
- JR四国 2600系特急形気動車 完成 [JR Shikoku 2600 series limited express DMU completed]. Tetsudo Hobidas (in Japanese). Japan: Neko Publishing Co., Ltd. 30 January 2017. Archived from the original on 30 January 2017. Retrieved 30 January 2017.
- Yoshimoto, Eisaburo (June 2017). 2600系特急形気動車 [2600 series limited express diesel multiple unit]. Japan Railfan Magazine (in Japanese). Vol. 57 no. 674. Japan: Koyusha Co., Ltd. pp. 74–79.
- 2600系 甲種輸送される [2600 series delivered]. RM News (in Japanese). Japan: Neko Publishing Co., Ltd. 14 February 2017. Archived from the original on 14 February 2017. Retrieved 14 February 2017.
- 2600系定期営業運転開始 [2600 series enters regular revenue service]. RM News (in Japanese). Japan: Neko Publishing Co., Ltd. 4 December 2017. Archived from the original on 4 December 2017. Retrieved 4 December 2017.
- JR四国『2600系 営業運転1番列車乗車ツアー』が開催される [JR Shikoku "2600 series 1st revenue service tour" operated]. Japan Railfan Magazine Online (in Japanese). Japan: Koyusha Co., Ltd. 12 August 2017. Archived from the original on 12 September 2017. Retrieved 12 September 2017.
- JR四国、今後新製する特急気動車の車体傾斜に振子方式採用へ [JR Shikoku to use pendular tilting system on future limited express trains] (in Japanese). Japan: Tetsudo Shimbun. 25 September 2017. Archived from the original on 26 September 2017. Retrieved 26 September 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to JR Shikoku 2600 series.|