JR Freight Class DD200
The Class DD200 (DD200形) is a Bo-Bo wheel arrangement diesel-electric locomotive type on order by Japan Freight Railway (JR Freight) for use on freight and shunting duties in Japan. A prototype locomotive was delivered in late June 2017 for testing and evaluation in the Tokyo area.
The prototype, DD200-901, in January 2018
The Class DD200 was developed to replace ageing Class DE10 and Class DE11 diesel-hydraulic locomotives used on freight services over non-electrified lines, and also for shunting duties at freight terminals. The locomotive has a single water-cooled four-cycle V12-cylinder diesel engine, with a power output of 600 kW (800 hp).
Details of the Class DD200 were officially announced by JR Freight on 15 June 2017. A prototype locomotive, DD200-901, was delivered to JR Freight's Shin-Tsurumi Depot from the Kawasaki Heavy Industries factory in Kobe in late June 2017. This is scheduled to undergo testing and evaluation in shunting operations at Tokyo Freight Terminal and in main line operations in the Tokyo area to obtain data to be used in the design of the full-production locomotives.
The DD200 classification for this locomotive type is explained below.
- D: Diesel locomotive
- D: Four driving axles
- 200: Diesel-electric locomotive with AC motors
- DD200-901が公開される [DD200-901 shown off]. Japan Railfan Magazine Online (in Japanese). Japan: Koyusha Co., Ltd. 5 July 2017. Archived from the original on 5 July 2017. Retrieved 5 July 2017.
- DD200形試作車 [Class DD200 prototype locomotive]. Japan Railfan Magazine (in Japanese). Vol. 57 no. 677. Japan: Koyusha Co., Ltd. September 2017. pp. 62–63.
- JR貨物，DD200形を導入 [JR Freight to introduce Class DD200]. Japan Railfan Magazine Online (in Japanese). Japan: Koyusha Co., Ltd. 15 June 2017. Archived from the original on 15 June 2017. Retrieved 15 June 2017.
- JR貨物 新型ディーゼル機関車 製作 [JR Freight to build new diesel locomotive]. Tetsudo Hobidas (in Japanese). Japan: Neko Publishing Co., Ltd. 15 June 2017. Archived from the original on 15 June 2017. Retrieved 15 June 2017.
- DD200-901が甲種輸送される [DD200-901 delivered]. Japan Railfan Magazine Online (in Japanese). Japan: Koyusha Co., Ltd. 30 June 2017. Archived from the original on 30 June 2017. Retrieved 30 June 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to JR Freight DD200.|
- JR Freight press release (in Japanese)