JNR Class EF65
The Class EF65 (EF65形) is a 6-axle (Bo-Bo-Bo wheel arrangement) DC electric locomotive type operated on passenger and freight services in Japan since 1965. A total of 308 locomotives were built between 1965 and 1979, with 52 still in service as of 1 April 2016.
Refurbished JR Freight EF65 118, February 2008
- EF65-0: Numbers EF65 1 – 135
- EF65-500: Numbers EF65 501 – 542
- EF65-1000: Numbers EF65 1001 – 1139
Background and history
The Class EF65 was designed by Japanese National Railways (JNR) as a standard locomotive type developed from the earlier Class EF60 design for use primarily on the Tokaido Main Line and Sanyo Main Line.
During the JNR era, these locomotives were used for freight trains and also for passenger work - primarily hauling night trains such as the Izumo sleeping car limited express and Ginga sleeping car express.
EF67 banker conversions
Five 6th-batch Class EF65-0 locomotives, numbers EF65 131 to EF65 135, were converted in 1990 and 1991 to become Class EF67-100 banking locomotives for use on the "Senohachi" section of the Sanyo Main Line.
|Original number||Built||Later number||Rebuilt|
|EF65 131||16 July 1970||EF67 102||1 May 1990|
|EF65 132||20 July 1970||EF67 104||9 November 1990|
|EF65 133||30 July 1970||EF67 103||29 September 1990|
|EF65 134||6 August 1970||EF67 101||23 March 1990|
|EF65 135||20 August 1970||EF67 105||8 March 1991|
The EF65-500 subclass consisted of a total of 42 locomotives, including newly built locomotives and locomotives (EF65 535 - 542) modified from the earlier EF65-0 subclass (EF65 77 - 84) for use on overnight sleeping car services and express freight services operating at a maximum speed of 110 km/h (70 mph).
|Locomotive number||P/F designation|
There are former Class EF65-1000 locomotives renumbered from May 2012 by JR Freight to differentiate them from locomotives fitted with driving recording units mandated for operations over 100 mph (160 km/h).
|Year||JR Freight||JR East||JR Central||JR West||Total||Ref|
- JR Freight
- JR East
- JR Central
- JR West
- EF65 9: Repainted in early-style all-over brown livery with white ("JR貨物", JR Freight) lettering on the side
- EF65 57: Repainted in early-style all-over brown livery
- EF65 105: Repainted in Euroliner livery
- EF65 116: Repainted in blue with large yellow "JR" lettering on the sides and yellow bands on the cab ends
- EF65 123: Repainted in Yuyu Salon Okayama livery (initially maroon, later orange)
- EF65 1019: Repainted in Super Express Rainbow red livery in March 1987. Removed from service on 31 December 1997, and withdrawn on 1 September 1998.
- EF65 1059: Repainted in blue with yellow front-end warning panels and large "JR" logo in July 1987. Remained in this livery until withdrawal on 31 March 2009.
- EF65 1065: Experimental JR Freight livery
- EF65 1118: Super Express Rainbow livery
- EF65 1124: Twilight Express dark green and yellow livery from November 2015
- EF65 1: Preserved at the Kyoto Railway Museum in Kyoto.
- EF65 5: JR Freight Ōi Depot in Shinagawa, Tokyo (training use)
- EF65 520: Usui Pass Railway Heritage Park, Gunma Prefecture
- EF65 535: Originally stored at Ōmiya Works, Saitama Prefecture, and donated to Toshiba in Fuchu, Tokyo in March 2013
- EF65 536: Sekisui Kinzoku factory, Saitama Prefecture (cab only)
- EF65 539: Privately preserved in Gunma Prefecture (cab only)
- EF65 1001: JR Freight Ōi Depot in Shinagawa, Tokyo (training use)
- Inoue, Kōichi (1999). 国鉄機関車事典: 蒸気・電気・ディーゼル機関車66形式 国鉄機関車辞典 [JNR Locomotive Encyclopedia]. Japan: Sankaido. pp. 118–121. ISBN 978-4-381-10338-3.
- Miyahara, Masakazu, ed. (December 2016). 国鉄最終章LAST (鉄道ジャーナル2017年2月号別冊) [JNR - The Final Chapter (Railway Journal February 2017 Extra issue)] (in Japanese). Japan: Railway Journal. p. 20–23. ASIN B01N59AJPB. ISSN 0288-2337.
- Jr機関車カタログ: Jr7社の現有30形式を詳しく解說 JR機関車カタログ [JR Locomotive Catalogue]. Japan: Ikaros Publications Ltd. 20 June 2013. pp. 28–31. ISBN 9784863207271.
- Jēāru zensharyō handobukku: Rail Magazine 2009 JR全車輌ハンドブック2009 [JR Rolling Stock Handbook 2009]. Japan: Neko Publishing. 2009. pp. 33–35. ISBN 978-4-7770-0836-0.
- Seki, Takahiro (December 2012). セノハチの後押し機関車 [Senohachi Banking locomotives]. Japan Railfan Magazine. Vol. 52 no. 620. Japan: Koyusha Co., Ltd. pp. 86–93.
- "JR各社の車両配置表" (JR Group company fleet allocations). Japan Railfan Magazine. Vol. 49 no. 579. Japan: Koyusha. July 2009. pp. 1–48.
- JR全車輛ハンドブック'92 [JR Rolling Stock Handbook 1992]. Japan: Neko Publishing. 1992. pp. 33–35.
- "EF65 1019". Tetsudo Hobidas (in Japanese). Japan: Neko Publishing Ltd. January 2013. Retrieved 8 January 2013.
- "EF65 1059". Tetsudo Hobidas (in Japanese). Japan: Neko Publishing Ltd. November 2012. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- EF65 1124がトワイライト色に [EF65 1124 repainted into Twilight livery]. Japan Railfan Magazine Online (in Japanese). Japan: Koyusha Co., Ltd. 13 November 2015. Retrieved 15 November 2015.
- 京都鉄道博物館 [Kyoto Railway Museum]. Japan Railfan Magazine (in Japanese). Vol. 56 no. 662. Japan: Koyusha Co., Ltd. June 2016. p. 47.
- Sasada, Masahiro (25 November 2014). 国鉄&jr 保存車大全 2015-2016 国鉄&JR保存車大全2015-2016 [JNR & JR Preserved Rolling Stock Complete Guide 2015-2016] (in Japanese). Tokyo, Japan: Ikaros Publications Ltd. p. 122. ISBN 978-4863209282.
- EF65 535が東芝府中事業所へ [EF65 535 moved to Toshiba Fuchu factory]. RM News (in Japanese). Japan: Neko Publishing Ltd. 12 March 2013. Retrieved 11 March 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to JNR EF65.|