JNR Class ED76
The Class ED76 (ED76形) is a Bo-2-Bo wheel arrangement AC electric locomotive type operated on passenger and freight services in Japan since 1965, originally by Japanese National Railways (JNR), and later by Hokkaido Railway Company (JR Hokkaido), Kyushu Railway Company (JR Kyushu) and Japan Freight Railway Company (JR Freight). As of 1 April 2016, just 10 locomotives remained in service, all operated by JR Freight.
JR Kyushu ED76 70 on Naha sleeping car service in September 2006
As of 1 April 2016, the remaining fleet consists of two locomotives, ED76 81 and ED76 83, operated by JR Freight.
22 class ED76-500 locomotives were built from 1968 for use in Hokkaido, numbered ED76 501 to ED76 522. These locomotives included larger water and fuel tanks for the train heating steam generator and had accordingly longer bodies. They were intended to be used in pairs, and featured cab gangway doors.
ED76 514 was modified for used in the Seikan Tunnel and renumbered ED76 551.
As of 1 April 2016, the remaining fleet consists of eight locomotives, operated by JR Freight.
- ED76 1: Kyushu Railway Heritage Museum, (cab end only, previously stored inside JR Kyushu Kokura Works, Kitakyushu)
- ED76 91: Hita Tenryosui no Sato, Hita, Oita
- ED76 505: Mikasa Railway Village, Mikasa, Hokkaido
- ED76 509: Otaru Transport Museum, Otaru, Hokkaido
- ED76 1006: JR Freight Moji Depot (stored for training purposes)
The ED76 classification for this locomotive type is explained below.
- E: Electric locomotive
- D: Four driving axles
- 7x: AC locomotive with maximum speed exceeding 85 km/h (55 mph)
- Inoue, Kōichi (1999). 国鉄機関車事典: 蒸気・電気・ディーゼル機関車66形式 国鉄機関車辞典 [JNR Locomotive Encyclopedia]. Japan: Sankaido. pp. 148–149. ISBN 978-4-381-10338-3.
- Jēāru zensharyō handobukku: Rail Magazine 2009 JR全車輌ハンドブック2009 [JR Rolling Stock Handbook 2009]. Japan: Neko Publishing. 2009. p. 45. ISBN 978-4-7770-0836-0.
- Miyahara, Masakazu, ed. (December 2016). 国鉄最終章LAST (鉄道ジャーナル2017年2月号別冊) [JNR - The Final Chapter (Railway Journal February 2017 Extra issue)] (in Japanese). Japan: Railway Journal. p. 31. ASIN B01N59AJPB. ISSN 0288-2337.
- Shibata, Togo (August 2016). 最新JR貨物の電気機関車と話題の貨物列車 [Latest: JR Freight electric locomotives and popular freight trains]. Tetsudo Daiya Joho Magazine (in Japanese). Vol. 45 no. 388. Japan: Kotsu Shimbun. p. 33.
- Jr機関車カタログ: Jr7社の現有30形式を詳しく解說 JR機関車カタログ [JR Locomotive Catalogue]. Japan: Ikaros Publications Ltd. 20 June 2013. pp. 56–59. ISBN 9784863207271.
- Sasada, Masahiro (September 2012). 国鉄&JR保存車大全 [JNR & JR Preserved Rolling Stock Complete Guide]. Tokyo, Japan: Ikaros Publications Ltd. p. 126. ISBN 978-4863206175.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to JNR ED76.|