JNR Class ED62
Preserved ED62 17 at Omiya Works Open Day in May 2007
The Class ED62 locomotives were created between 1974 and 1979 by modifying the 18 earlier JNR Class ED61 Bo-Bo electric locomotives with the addition of a centre non-driven axle. Rebuilding was carried out at JNR's Nagano Works. The primary aim of rebuilding was to reduce the axle load (from 15 t to 13 t) for use on the Iida Line, where the class displaced vintage JNR Class ED18 (English Electric) and JNR Class ED19 (Westinghouse) locomotives, and later JNR Class EF10 locomotives.
One highlight of the class's career was when ED62 15 hauled the Imperial Train on the Iida Line in 1979. It was also not uncommon to see ED62s close to Tokyo when they worked to Shin-Tsurumi Depot for examinations.
Eight members of the class were still in service in 1987 when JNR was split into separate JR Group companies, and ED62 17 was repainted into the new JR Freight livery shortly after. When freight operations ceased on the Iida Line in 1997, the remaining locomotives were placed in storage before finally being withdrawn in 2002.
|ED62 1||ED61 3||June 1974||February 1987|
|ED62 2||ED61 2||August 1975||December 1985|
|ED62 3||ED61 9||August 1975||October 1998|
|ED62 4||ED61 8||August 1975||October 1998|
|ED62 5||ED61 6||August 1975||October 1998|
|ED62 6||ED61 14||August 1976||October 1998|
|ED62 7||ED61 4||August 1976||October 1998|
|ED62 8||ED61 11||October 1976||February 1987|
|ED62 9||ED61 1||November 1976||May 1985|
|ED62 10||ED61 13||July 1977||February 1987|
|ED62 11||ED61 10||September 1977||May 1985|
|ED62 12||ED61 5||October 1977||June 1985|
|ED62 13||ED61 12||November 1977||June 1985|
|ED62 14||ED61 16||February 1978||November 1984|
|ED62 15||ED61 7||March 1978||February 1996|
|ED62 16||ED61 17||August 1978||March 2002|
|ED62 17||ED61 18||October 1978||March 2002|
|ED62 18||ED61 15||January 1979||July 1985|
- ED62 1 JR East Nagano depot
- ED62 17 Stored at JR East's Omiya works (standard blue livery)
ED62 14 was also formerly preserved at Sakuma Rail Park.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to JNR ED62.|
- Inoue, Kōichi (1999). 国鉄機関車事典: 蒸気・電気・ディーゼル機関車66形式 国鉄機関車事典 (JNR Locomotive Encyclopedia). Japan: Sankaido. ISBN 978-4-381-10338-3.
- Sasada, Masahiro (25 November 2014). 国鉄&jr 保存車大全 2015-2016 国鉄&JR保存車大全2015-2016 [JNR & JR Preserved Rolling Stock Complete Guide 2015-2016] (in Japanese). Tokyo, Japan: Ikaros Publications Ltd. p. 121. ISBN 978-4863209282.
- 佐久間レールパーク展示車両とイベント情報 [Sakuma Rail Park Exhibits and Event Information]. Tetsudō Daiya Jōhō. 38 (304): 38–42. August 2009.